Volleyball wins GCAC opener in Den

Wolfpack recover from errors in second set to defeat Xavier 3-1
    General studies freshmen Sarah Howard (left) and Alex Friedrichs, visual graphics freshman, jump to block a Xavier spike Tuesday in the Den. Loyola won the conference-opening match and will host Belhaven College tommorow.

After splitting the first two games of its conference-opening match against Xavier University Tuesday in the Den, Loyola’s volleyball team took control to win the final two games and the match 30-24, 27-30, 30-22, 30-14.

Three players recorded double digit kills, led by management senior Ashley Cobette with 13. General business freshman Mary Seals and accounting senior Shannon LaHaie added 12 and 11 kills, respectively.

“She’s (Cobette) been whacking away,” coach Tommy Harold said. “We’ve been getting her the ball a lot, and she’s one of our more explosive players. Everyone hit the ball great (against Xavier).”

The Wolfpack’s first conference game was scheduled to be against Spring Hill in Mobile, Ala. on Sept. 14., but Hurricane Ivan caused the game to be rescheduled for Thursday, Sept. 30. Harold said that missing a week of practice for evacuating caused both teams to play sloppily.

“We were able to regroup after the second game,” he said. “We eliminated errors and played much cleaner in the third and fourth games. It’s always nice to start conference on the positive side with a win.”

Harold also said that he was pleased with the attendance for his team’s home opener.

“We had a great crowd Tuesday night. It was a fun night in the Den.”

Accounting junior Kelly Fridge led the Loyola defense with 25 digs. Setter Sarah Howard, general studies freshman, had 44 assists.

Loyola improved to 8-6 overall on the 2004 season. Harold said his team is ready for Gulf Coast Athletic Conference play because it played a difficult pre-conference schedule.

“We’re hitting our stride (for conference play),” he said. “Every conference game is important. In volleyball, you must take care of the ball when you have it.”

Xavier’s coach Greg Castillo coached Loyola for seven years before leaving to start the program at Xavier University. Harold said that last year’s match between the schools had more emotion than Tuesday’s match.

The ‘Pack hosts Belhaven College tomorrow in the Den at 3 p.m. Harold said he anticipates that Belhaven will be a bigger challenge for Loyola than last year.

Gene Guillot can be reached at [email protected].