Full roster key to soccer team’s success

Fullback Katie Hennekes, general business freshman, defends a Hendrix College player at the Fly as Kathryn Conroy, general studies freshman, moves to help.

Soccer coach Emmy Therrell said she’s confident that her team will benefit from strength in numbers this season. Unlike past years, Therrell has a full roster of 25 players.

“This is the largest turnout that we’ve had,” she said. “We’ve got a lot of talent. It seems like people are willing to commit to the team.”

In the team’s first game of the season, Therrell said she immediately saw the advantages of a full team.

“We were in the heat,” she said. “We have a variety of players and talents, and we were able to substitute in at every position. If you are not as sharp in the game as you need to be, others can take your place. This brings a positive attitude of increased intensity at practice.”

Midfielder Michaela Bono, music business junior, and defender Megan Galizia, communications senior, are the team’s captains.

All-GCAC performer Lindsay Diak, biology sophomore, returns to lead the offense. She led the Wolfpack last year with six goals and three assists. Diak was named NAIA honorable mention.

“She opens up other players to the ball,” Therrell said. “Even though she’s marked tightly, she still can be a playmaker.

Therrell said that freshmen will contribute to the team early in their careers. General studies freshman Kathryn Conroy has already taken over the sweeper position.

Therrell said that she believes Loyola can improve on last season’s 5-12-1 finish.

“We always have difficulty in conference play, but I think this team has a lot of potential,” she said.

“We have the ability to work as a group and give ourselves the opportunity to beat teams we struggled to beat in the past.”