Opinion column: More places to lock up bikes are needed

In my opinion
    Zachary+Turmelle
    Loyola Maroon
    Zachary Turmelle

A bike was one of the first things I bought when I came to New Orleans and it was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. A bike allowed me to get out and explore the city.

This year, there has been an influx of bikes on campus. On one hand, I’m overjoyed to see a good portion of students enjoying the hobby of cycling. On the other, I’ve noticed that there is nowhere to park my bike when I come to school every day.

In the morning, bikes upon bikes are locked up everywhere: West Road Garage, the library, over by the dorms and even the racks by the Music/Communications building. It seems anywhere you can lock your bike is taken. As a commuter, I take much pleasure in riding my bike to class. However, it is not easy to find a spot. Many times, I’ve been late for class because there was nowhere to lock up my bike. As you can imagine, the fact that there is no space to lock up bikes is a big issue.

As Loyola is caught in the midst of construction, I propose we add new racks. First, let’s replace those weird “T” shaped racks by the library and Monroe Hall. These racks are very small and don’t utilize space very well. We need racks that will allow as many bikes as possible to be hitched up to them reasonably.

Second, let’s increase the number of racks we have on campus. The most popular ones are in West Road garage and by the dorms. With proper planning, we can find more space to put the bikes that are often crowded. The rack between Biever and Buddig hall is a perfect example of too many bicycles in one place.

Last, let’s find a way to protect the bikes from the elements. New Orleans is famous for torrential downpours that can occur at many points during the day. Most bikes on campus are left out in the open and can be in the rain for days on end. They soon rust and students find themselves with a rickety piece of junk and a lot of repairs.

Bicycles should be protected from Mother Nature when not being used in order to keep them in working condition. I remember when I used to live on campus, I would bring my bike up to my room fairly often out of fear of weathering. Plans should be considered by the school to make a permanent covering. In the meantime, a temporary solution should be implemented. For example, wherever possible, let’s put some tarps over exposed bike racks.

Loyola has undergone several different cosmetic changes since I first arrived. The Danna Center has been transformed a few times over (Remember when Flambeaux’s used to be an empty room?), sculptures have come and gone (Yellow Cake), and the new residential lobbies were not as bright and flashy as they now are. It seems only practical to suggest that as our student body grows, we must accommodate for the transportation needs of commuters and students.

Please, Father Wildes and SGA, let’s add more racks to make commuting easier and make Loyola a bike friendly zone.

Zachary Turmelle is a music industry

studies senior. He can be reached at

In My Opinion is a weekly column open to any Loyola student. Those interested

in contributing can contact