Filmmaker Spike Lee discusses reality TV and minority culture

Ninth annual Father Carter Lecturer drew substantial crowd
    Filmmaker Spike Lee speaks to Loyola students on April 15 as part of the annual Father Carter lecture series.

Critically acclaimed filmmaker Spike Lee urged Loyola students to consider the relationships between the media, politics and pressing social issues in his speech as the ninth annual Father Carter Lecturer on April 15.

During a question-and-answer session, audience members acknowledged Lee as an impressive filmmaker who tackles controversial issues that often go ignored.

Lee said that he does not try to search for controversial scripts, but rather that controversy is often the byproduct.

The director, known for such films as “Malcolm X” and “Do the Right Thing,” discussed how the media have largely overlooked minority culture.

“Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, I saw the richness of African American culture, though none of it on television or the movies,” Lee said.

He claimed that, although there are many popular black actors, there aren’t many African American media executives who decide what gets distributed to the public.

Lee also said he’s been disturbed by a recent trend toward “reality television” that depicts fast and easy fame. According to Lee, that type of programming sends the wrong message.

“Nothing can substitute for hard work,” Lee said.

In his lecture, the filmmaker also questioned President Bush’s intentions for invading Iraq. He emphasized that war affects everyone’s lives, and that they should at least question the motives behind political decisions – every decision, for that matter.

“Define what is it that you love, not what is it that makes the most money,” Lee said in reference to how undergraduates should spend their time.

Sociology senior Mary Grace Stewart said she enjoyed Lee’s lecture because he was honest, real and didn’t sugarcoat anything.

“Lee’s my favorite director,” said Suzanne Wiltz, a graduate communications student. “I like that he didn’t focus strictly on entertainment, but also on relevant issues like the war in Iraq and the importance of pursuing our passion in life.”

Lan Bui can be reached at [email protected].