Campus changes surprise and annoy

Fence prevents walking through Monroe quad; VPs get reserved parking
    Students walk around the metal picket fence, newly installed across the quad between Monroe Hall and the old library. Many students have complained that the fence unncessarily makes them walk around the green space, instead of through it.
    Ann Hermes

On Jan. 12, Loyola students returned to class from winter break and found several surprising changes to the university’s campus.

One of the most apparent changes to the campus, according to students, has been the installation of a metal picket fence between Monroe and the old library.

Caryn Winters, political science and communications studies senior, stated that the purpose of the fence is purely aesthetic: to keep students off the field and help the trampled grass grow back.

However, some students are not happy about the change, especially those seen hopping the fence on the way to class.

Some students also say they worry about being late for class or going around the fence in the rain. Others say they just don’t think it has any visual appeal.

“The decor of the fence doesn’t go with anything on campus, and it head-butts right into a white metal rail,” Leslie Bauer, sociology senior, said. “It’s hideous.”

Additionally, four parking spaces this semester have been designated as 24-hour reserved spots for the vice presidents of the university.

Two spaces are behind the Holy Name of Jesus Church, one is behind Biever Hall, and one is on the Broadway campus.

These spaces are reserved for Dr. Walter Harris, provost/vice president for academic affairs, Rhonda Cartwright, vice president for business and finance, Malcolm W. Woodall, vice president for institutional advancement, and Dr. James C. Eiseman, vice president for student affairs.

However, the university is already working on opening new spaces to try to alleviate the parking problems that students experience during the day.

Although four spaces have been reserved for the administrators, the university plans to open about 15 new spaces for students on East Road directly behind the New Residence Hall, Captain Roger Pinac of University Police said.

Any car with a Loyola parking permit can use the spaces, but only between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Times for parking are restricted because residents in the dorm may be disturbed by the noises from car engines.

“It’s just a little space,” Pinac said, “so that it will absorb some of the overflow (from the garages).”

The campus can hold approximately 1,400 cars at one time. However, there are around 5,500 students and 670 faculty and other full-time employees.

“I think they should add more floors to West Road garage,” Winters said. “It’s designed to have additional floors added. Parking will always be a problem because there are so many students.”