UNO struggles against ‘Pack

Women give Privateers, an NCAA Division I school, a good game but fall short
    Music business junior Kate Pilgreen defends the shot of UNO´s Jeannette Jimenez during a game at the UNO Lakefront Arena on Nov. 8.
    Ignacio Chacon

In a close match against UNO, the Wolfpack fell 77-64. With the score tied 59-59 and 6:16 to play, UNO’s Jasmin Smiri hit a three pointer that would spark a 18-5 Privateer run to close out the game.

The Wolfpack held the lead briefly in the second half as visual graphics sophomore Summer Fiedler made a layup to put Loyola up 48-47 with 9:41 to play.

Smiri paced UNO with 17 points, including five of eight from downtown.

“[UNO] applied tons of defensive pressure throughout the game and, although they had a height advantage at every position, we out-rebounded them 45-34,” coach Dobee Plaisance said about the ‘Pack’s tenacity.

Criminal justice freshman Dani Holland led Loyola with a double-double: 14 points and game-high 15 rebounds.

“Dani was a rebounding machine and her offensive put backs really kept us close throughout most of the game,” Plaisance said.

Finance freshman Marjorie Bilinski led all scorers with 18 points on 7 for 10 shooting from the field despite a hard hit in the nose. She was cleared by doctors and will be playing with a mask in the upcoming games.

“I was really impressed with how determined Bilinski was to play the rest of the game. She’s really got a lot of mental toughness for a freshman starter,” Plaisance said.

Music business junior Kate Pilgreen and Fiedler added 12 and 10 points respectively. Four Loyola players scored in double figures.

“What really killed us wasn’t a lack of fitness or depth but … early foul trouble. If we can stay out of foul trouble, I truly believe these girls can beat anyone,” was Plaisance’s response to the game that just seemed to slip away after junior Joelle Bordelon fouled out of the game.

Loyola returns to action Saturday against Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond and has a home game against Arkansas Baptist at 6:00 p.m. on Monday.