Senior puts heart into cancer event

Ashley Woolledge, mass communication senior, prepares for the cancer awareness event in the Hub. Aimed to educate students on cancer prevention, University Programming Board will sponsor the event on Oct. 14.
    Dan Helfers

Mass communication senior Ashley Woolledge got the news about her mother early in the morning two weeks ago as she was getting ready for class. Jeanie Wooledge, 48, came into her daughter’s room, asked her to sit down on the bed and told her she had been diagnosed with melanoma – the deadliest form of skin cancer.

A little over a week later Ashley decided to organize an event to help raise cancer awareness at Loyola. With the help of fellow University Programming Board workers, psychology sophomore Tracy Kinamore and biology freshman David Garcia, Woolledge has put together an hour-long event with speakers and corporate sponsors in a matter of days.

“We’re bringing awareness to the student body, both men and women, about breast cancer and cancer,” Ashley said.

The event is scheduled for Oct. 14 and will take place in the St. Charles Room of the Danna Center. In the past UPB has held events to raise awareness for breast cancer during October – the national breast cancer awareness month – but this year Ashley wants to include speakers and information on all types of cancer.

Rebekah Eutsler from Ochsner Hospital and the Project Pink Junior Teen Queen Kelly Woolledge, Ashley’s sister, will speak to students about cancer prevention. Ochsner Hospital and West Jefferson Hospital will have representatives present. Ashley said she is trying to get an expert from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation to speak.

A long list of sponsors – including Planet Beach Franchising Corporation, Blockbuster Inc. and Smoothie King Franchises Inc. – will be raffling free gifts. Planet Beach has donated a free month’s subscription to its cancer-free tanning services.

Loyola Women’s Health Services will be present at the event and will be signing up people interested in participating on the Loyola Team at the Race for the Cure in Old City Park Oct. 19.

On Oct. 13 and 14 UPB will be handing out pink ribbons in the Danna Center. To show their support for breast cancer patients nationally, students will also be able to sign a giant ribbon that will be displayed at the event Oct. 14.

“I have never understood what it’s like for a family member to come so close to death,” Ashley said. “Now through this program maybe I can give other people hope.”

Jeanie will also be speaking at the event. Ashley said her mother, who has had non-threatening forms of skin cancer in the past, will be undergoing chemotherapy for her recently-diagnosed melanoma soon. Ashley said it is hard for people with cancer to talk about it publicly, and she appreciates her mother’s courage.

Steve Heath can be reached at [email protected].