Club involvement increases after election

In my opinion

Campus Conservatives began in the fall of 2007 as a small group of students aimed at offering a conservative viewpoint to what is viewed as an ideologically slanted campus.
    We felt students were not being presented both sides of political issues, and we wanted to educate the students about conservative views.

The goal of Campus Conservatives is not to “conservatize” Loyola, but rather to balance Loyola. In order to be an educated and engaged citizen, it is important to understand the full spectrum of other stances on any issue.

The balancing effect Campus Conservatives has within the Loyola community is universally beneficial.

Students supporting traditional ideals are given an opportunity to voice their beliefs, and those with opposing opinions are enabled to participate in constructive dialogue and debate.

Class discussions and campus events can present an intimidating environment for any student wishing to speak from the minority and especially voice a conservative viewpoint. In my own case, I found it hard to voice my opinion in class or amongst friends.

Knowing that others share in the voice of opposition has made it easier to take a stand. I have noticed that the more I speak up, the more others are empowered to speak up too.

Essentially, Campus Conservatives hopes to empower students to speak out, and let them know that there are other students here who hold to conservative viewpoints as well.

Also, a common misconception regarding Campus Conservatives is that we are affiliated with the Republican Party. This is false. We want students to become involved with us if they have just one conservative view or we are currently working on something that pertains to that specific view.

For instance, Campus Conservatives recently hosted a Veterans Day charity barbecue, which highlighted traditional American culture and benefited the New Orleans Veteran Association.

Participation in this event was open to anyone wishing to support our local veterans.

With the Democratic Party now in control of both the executive and legislative branches of government, it is now more important than ever for conservative students to be actively involved.  The recent election has left me more passionate about the direction our country is taking, and I know that Campus Conservatives will spread that enthusiasm to other students.

I am excited about the impact college students can have on the future of our nation.
    Next semester, we will focus on informing Loyola students of the importance Louisiana has in the vital conservative movement.

Our organization has been in contact with numerous conservative leaders who are excited about the prospect of involving young people in the discussion of where conservatism will lead our state and how that will positively impact our nation.

We are committed to bringing speakers to campus and continuing our successful charity events, such as the yellow ribbon sale that raised money for men and women in the armed forces.
    As president of Campus Conservatives, I would like to encourage anyone interested to get involved.

Our meetings are usually held on Tuesday nights in the J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library at 6 p.m. To find the specific dates, check out our Facebook group, Campus Conservatives Loyola University.

Abbey Brandon is a mass communication sophomore. She can be reached at [email protected].