Afroman gets high off Big Easy

Loyola’s own musicians open show at The Frat House for Afroman’s comeback
    Afroman plays the guitar during his hit single, Because I Got High.
    Dan Helfers
    Afroman plays the guitar during his hit single, “Because I Got High.”

On their 1992 album “40 Oz. to Freedom,” Sublime gave a shout out to Carrollton neighborhood bar Jimmy’s. After serving primarily as a high school and college hangout, the bar redefined itself as The Frat House Uptown.

It has returned to its music showcasing roots that Sublime praised over a decade ago with its April 24 Afroman show by Robot Punch Productions.

The mixed crowd of hipsters, gangsters and high school princesses welcomed the first act, Loyola freshman rapper Gerald Gillum, better known as G-Eazy.

Although the New Orleans via Oakland artist had the shortest stage time, performing for only 20 minutes, he made the most of his six song set by inviting his friend, finance sophomore,

Malcolm “Concept” Curtis to perform with him. G-Easy ended the set with “Fresh,” the single that introduced him to the Loyola community, announcing that he would soon be filming the video for his new single “Nobody.”

Many seemed in support of G-Easy with several sporting the rapper’s signature lensless glasses and massive faux gold chain. “It was manic. We set the tempo, and it’s going to be hard to match,” Concept said.

G-Easy mesmerized the crowd. One woman even migrated around the bar bragging about how he and Concept had autographed her breasts.

Despite some technical difficulties, Nomadic Soul changed the tempo, dismissing the misogynist, gang and drug culture of modern rap with their “conscious hip hop.”

The audience sympathized with Sol and the band as they continued with their set after microphone failures, nodding in agreement as Sol rhymed about social reform.

Sol attributes the support of the crowd on the diverse influences to their sound.

“We dabble in all genres of music,” he said. “While people may compare us to the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Digable Planets, I take that as a compliment. We’re versatile and can reach anybody.”

The most poignant part of the set was when Sol, who came to New Orleans in 2006 to help with reconstruction, spoke on the current state of New Orleans neighborhoods.

The Revivalists followed, changing the atmosphere to more alternative rock than the previous two hip-hop acts.

The crowd supported the change, with many of the band’s fans filing into the space for the performance. The fan base began singing along and chanting particular song requests.

As they left the stage to the soundtrack of fans’ screams, the stage was rearranged to accommodate Afroman. When he appeared on stage at 12:30 a.m. wearing a yellow dress shirt, tie and vest the suddenly larger audience was ecstatic.

“Raise your beers to the sky,” he demanded.

As the set wore on, however, the crowd seemed to become disinterested in Afroman and his conceit and references to marijuana, malt liquor and bodily fluids.

He seemed just as disinterested. Even when he concluded with his two chart hits “Because I Got High” and “Crazy Rap,” the audience reacted with apathy and left the venue immediately after Afroman abandoned the stage.

While the opening three acts garnered praise, Afroman, the night’s headliner, disappointed. The most redeeming part occurred shortly after the show, when the club’s DJ played 2 Live Crew’s “Me So Horny.” Sublime would be proud.

Justin Templet can be reached at [email protected].