Opinion column: Imagine a giant fish tank

Think about it
    Garrett+Fontenot
    Loyola Maroon
    Garrett Fontenot

One of the most versatile places on Loyola’s campus is the Danna Center courtyard. I have done homework, had lunch and dinner, read, slept, studied, socialized, plotted, had class and just wasted time in the courtyard. I am not the only one who takes advantage of the space. During fall and spring, it can be challenging to find a space to sit outside.

The courtyard is one of the spaces that I will miss most whenever the Danna Center is taken out of commission in preparation for the construction of the new student center/residence hall. The construction of a new student center will also put an end to a dream I have had since my freshman year at Loyola.

Right now, the courtyard serves almost as a “human aquarium,” allowing students to sit and watch the actions of others through a glass wall, much like one would view fish in an actual aquarium. While having coffee outside one day, I realized that with a few minor (and by that I mean fairly extensive and expensive) improvements, the courtyard would make an excellent real aquarium. Imagine having dinner in the Orleans Room while watching a live version of your dinner swim by, or standing in line at CC’s while a turtle supervises the making of your grande vanilla latte. The possible benefits stemming from the implementation of such a suggestion are quite appealing.

The somewhat awkward area near the courtyard would be revitalized with a new incentive for eating there, besides a lack of room elsewhere; the university would be endowed with a very novel feature in its student center to attract potential students. It would also give the biology department a wonderful area to conduct research on aquatic species and plants, thus potentially representing another way to attract potential biology students to the school. The work and research opportunities for biology and environmental studies students are endless, with the added benefit of being an interesting exhibit for all other students.

To preempt the inevitable objections, yes, I do realize that this is totally unrealistic and the idea would never actually be approved by anyone. It does illustrate the point that one is surrounded by opportunities to engage in learning and critical thinking. Sitting in the courtyard and watching people inside the Danna Center interact and walk by on their way to class or dinner is an interesting sociological experiment in and of itself.

With the construction of a new student center and the implementation of an improved common curriculum, Loyola has a wonderful opportunity to encourage students to take advantage of all of the learning opportunities they can. Even though some majors (especially science) may not seem easily approachable, they still present valuable lessons that everyone should learn. The point of the aquarium story is to illustrate the benefits of visibility: be open to learning about other disciplines and be open to share your knowledge of your own field of study with others.

Garrett Fontenot can be reached at [email protected]