Doby hits milestone for career scoring

Chad Barnes, management freshman, grabs a rebound against Tougaloo.
    Ignacio Chacon

While the Hall of Fame ceremonies were the focus of the Loyola sporting world, Mack Doby stole some of the limelight as he scored the 1,000th point of his career in a Loyola uniform.Doby became the 15th Loyola player ever to score more than 1,000 points in his career. This career milestone comes just two weeks after being nationally recognized for his free – throw shooting.Doby led the team in scoring for the game with 27 points and 5 for 10 shooting from three-point land. Doby also had a perfect night from the line, hitting all six of his free throws as the wolfpack took on Talladega in the Den on Thursday, Jan. 17.The ‘Pack shot its way to an 87-78 victory, improving its record to 6-14 overall, 1-3 in conference play. The ‘Pack shot 61.7 percent from the field and 50 percent from the third point arc.The ‘Pack produced two other double figure scorers. Chad Barnes, management freshman, added 23 points and six rebounds, followed by Brian Bowers, computer science senior, with 11 points. According to head coach Jerry Hernandez, the impressive shooting performance was in part due to better shot selection.”We were more patient than we had been and passed up on some three point shots for some better two point shots,” he said. “We were just getting better looks at the basket.”On Saturday night, the ‘Pack played in front of the entire 1971 Loyola baseball team as well as Butler Powell and Richard Hymel, all inducted into the Hall of Fame at halftime of the game, as they took on Tougaloo in the Hall of Fame.Despite the hometown support, the team was unable to overcome a half time deficit and fell 70-66.According to Hernandez, the ‘Pack was just one shot short of sending the game into overtime.”We did have a shot to tie it up at the end, but we just didn’t get that last break,” he said. “We have been in every game except the Spring Hill game. We just need to not dig ourselves an early hole.”The ‘Pack was able to pull within three points of the bulldogs with only 50 seconds to play. The team, however, was unable to close the gap and a free throw with five seconds on the clock sealed the victory for Tougaloo.Doby, Barnes and general business freshman Matt Truax all lead the ‘Pack with 13 points apiece.Loyola was scheduled to take on Xavier on Thursday at the Barn.According to Hernandez, the key to winning will lie inside the paint.”We have got to stop their inside game and rebound well to win,” Hernandez said.The ‘Pack will continue its conference play tomorrow against William Carey at 4:30 p.m. in Hattiesburg, Miss.