Drew Brees to speak at commencement

Superbowl MVP will address 2010 Loyola graduates at Superdome

Drew Brees, Super Bowl XLIV MVP, will address the 875 graduating students during Loyola University’s graduation ceremony in the Louisiana Superdome May 8.

Brees led the New Orleans Saints to a Super Bowl victory against the Indianapolis Colts Feb. 7.

“Like our graduating students, Mr. Brees made a decision to come to New Orleans four years ago. Through his leadership of the Saints and his work in rebuilding the city, he has been a leader in the renewal of New Orleans just as our students have been leaders in this renewal though their work and volunteer service,” the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., university president, stated in a campus-wide e-mail.

Brees and his wife Brittany established the Brees Dream Foundation in 2003 to advance research in the fight against cancer and provide care, education and opportunities for children. The foundation has assisted with Habitat for Humanity, New Orleans Children’s Hospital and the American Cancer Society.

“Four years ago, whoever thought this would be happening,” Brees said after being named MVP. “Eighty-five percent of the city was under water. People were evacuating to places all over the country. Most people left not knowing if New Orleans would ever come back, or if the organization would ever come back. We just all looked at one other and said, ‘We are going to rebuild together. We are going to lean on each other.’ That’s what we’ve done the last four years and this is the culmination in all that belief.”

Abbey Brandon can be reached at [email protected]