Women’s basketball ready for new season

White, St. Mary look to lead the Wolfpack into the future
    Melissa St. Mary, management senior, drives to the basket during a game against Dillard last season in the Den.
    Ignacio Chachon

Like all teams coming off a sub-par season, the Loyola women’s basketball team is looking to improve both as a team and in the win column. The ‘Pack was 6-25 last season.

“Our goal is to have a winning season and to come together as a team. Really, we just want to win,” Carlee White, co-captain and political science junior, said.

White and fellow co-captain Melissa St. Mary, management senior, were both All-Gulf Coast Athletic Conference last year and will be counted on to lead the team. St. Mary is a three point threat and can read the action on the floor well.

White creates a presence on the inside and can be very dominant. Head Coach DoBee Plaisance has been pleased with the duo’s leadership ability.

“They’re good at leading both on and off the court,” Plaisance said. “They set good examples and are always stepping up. If you don’t have leaders or unity, then you won’t have success. This team will be as good as it wants to be.”

But Plaisance emphasizes that the ‘Pack will not rely simply on a few players but will need every player to perform well in order to be successful.

“Our strength is our depth at all positions,” she said. “Several people are stepping up and being leaders right now. We are at our best when several people step up and make a difference.”

Despite having a great deal of youth on the team, Plaisance insists that the ‘Pack is very experienced due to many freshmen last year receiving significant playing time.

“We’re coming in with experience. The sophomores played a lot last year as freshmen. The youth is definitely not a concern,” she said.

General studies freshman Kelly Gould, elementary education junior Taylor DeFrancisco and psychology sophomore Tiffany Curtis will give the ‘Pack an outside shooting threat, along with St. Mary.

They will be complemented on the inside by White, Jasmine Walls, English writing sophomore, and Rihana Dawkins, general studies sophomore, who will provide depth at both the power forward and center positions.

“We’re a real good three point shooting team and we have to utilize that,” White said. “Our post play is stronger than last year. We should be a well-balanced team this year.”

Stacia Jackson, communications sophomore, leads the transition game along with visual graphics freshman Summer Fiedler. Jackson is also among the best defenders on the team.

The floor general of the team is biology sophomore Joelle Bordelon, who can also hit the open look and plays aggressive defense. General studies sophomore Kate Pilgreen, another point guard, will bring ball-handling stability to the offense.

Communications senior Jill Tucker, a four-year player, brings versatility, which allows her to play several different positions on offense and defense.

Communications freshman Natalie Miller also adds versatility and solid defense to the squad. The best screeners on the team are Skye Landry, general business sophomore, and Katherine Gurley, communications junior.

Landry is considered the best defender on the team, and Gurley is one of the most fundamentally sound players for the ‘Pack.

Loyola opens play tomorrow against Freed-Hardeman and Saturday against Cumberland University in Henderson, Tenn.

Both teams are ranked in the NAIA top 15. The schedule does not get any easier after that with more games versus ranked opponents and several games against Division I schools, including the University of New Orleans (Nov. 23) before the team opens up conference play. Plaisance knows the difficult schedule that lies ahead but says the team is ready to handle it.

“The schedule is definitely tough but I have high expectations even in pre-season,” she said. “The team is not concerned about the toughness of the schedule. This team has prepared very hard and has the will to win.”