Loyola Week seeks to enhance community

Loyola Week sought to bring together the Loyola community in order to educate and reaffirm Jesuit teachings through many enjoyable and interactive events around campus. Many students who had free time between classes provided a large turnout for most of the events.

According to Joseph Albin Mission and Ministry fellow for retreats and coordinator for Loyola Week, this year’s Loyola Week, held from Nov. 4 to 10, was a great achievement in bringing in many participants for all of the events.

“After a quick look at the numbers, we had over 1,000 participants, 600 hamburgers and hot dogs, 10 Jesuits to dine with in the O.R, five St. Louis Jesuits to sing with, one amazing toe-pickin’ guitarist, and an amazing lecture with Fr. Fred Kammer, I would say that the week was a radical success,” Albin said in an email. “It was a joy to see so many people from the Loyola community and beyond come together to celebrate our heritage and our mission.”

Biology sophomore Sabrina Hernandez participated in the Dinner with the Jesuits on Nov. 6. She said she enjoyed her time at the event and was looking forward to the event because she wanted to get to know the older Jesuits on campus.

“My experience was a lot of fun,” Hernandez said in an email. “I had dinner with one of my favorite professors, Fr. Rogers, who’s always entertaining to talk to.”

Sociology senior Mario Zavala, who attended the Tony Melendez concert on Nov. 7, said even though this was his first time attending any type of Loyola Week event, he was very excited about the concert when he heard about it from a friend. He also said that seeing Melendez perform helped to inspire him in his own musical talents.

“I play the guitar and sometimes it is difficult to feel that you can really do something with it,” said Zavala. “Melendez helps inspire me to have more faith in my abilities and to have more confidence to perform my own music.” Psychology sophomore Ashley Ray, who attended the Careers in Public Service panel on Nov. 8, said she believes Loyola Week helped to bring together the New Orleans community with the Loyola community.

“I feel that this event helps bolster community and school spirit with local and outside communities,” Ray said.

Hernandez said Loyola Week is important to the entire university because it is a time to promote the love and pride we have for our school and also to remember the Jesuit values Loyola was founded on.

“I love seeing the Danna Center decorated in our school colors and seeing the different organizations on campus commemorating our Jesuit history in their own way,” Hernandez said. “It’s important to our identity as a school because it unites us to fellow Jesuit universities around the world.”

Burke Bischoff can be reached at [email protected]