Chi Alpha reaches out to students

If you remember the “Burger Bash” that took place at the end of August in the Residential Quad, complete with free food, inflatable obstacle courses and a real-life game of Angry Birds, you may also remember the student organization that put on the event—Chi Alpha.

Despite the Greek letters, Chi Alpha is neither a fraternity nor a sorority. Chi Alpha is a national Christian organization that has recently rooted itself on Loyola’s campus.

The name derives from the Greek translation of 2 Corinthians 5:20, which refers to “Christian Ambassadors,” which is then represented by the Greek “Chi Alpha.” Chi Alpha meets three times a week for bible readings and discussions, called “Satellites.”

“We take a piece for scripture, analyze it and discuss it in groups. Everyone can say what they believe or ask any questions they may have,” said Joshua Baker, Satellite leader and music industry business senior. “This group of people basically wants to reach college students before they go out into the real world.”

Satellites meet in various locations around campus weekly and last around an hour. Students are provided with three different options for Satellite meetings: Monday at 7 p.m., Wednesday at 4 p.m. and Thursday at 7 p.m.

The organization is associated with Assemblies of God Church but is open to both Christian and non-Christian students.

“It’s always fun to have different perspectives,” Baker said.

Chi Alpha also puts on a weekly church service, part of Loyola’s “Late Night.” At the service, students are able to congregate in worship with each other and their Satellite leaders.

Chi Alpha has also completed several community service projects, including cleaning a neighborhood park and painting buildings in the community.

Flor Serna can be reached at

[email protected]