Honors Program changes hands

Lynn Koplitz, former director of the University Honors Program, works in a Monroe chemistry lab with Goldwater Scholar Mary Spulak, chemistry senior, on a research project.
    Tom Macom

The face of Loyola’s University Honors Program is changing.

Honors students will no longer see Lynn Koplitz’s face for program and curriculum advising; instead they will meet with Skelly McCay, a Loyola Honors Program graduate and philosophy professor.

The change was announced in an e-mail sent July 26 by Frank Scully, dean of the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences, who collaborated with Walter Harris, provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, on McCay’s nomination and appointment as the new director of the University Honors Program.

While Scully and Harris seem pleased with their decision, Koplitz was noticeably disappointed by the choice to replace her position.

“I want all of you to know that I told (Scully) I wanted to continue in the position. I did not resign, so if the change is characterized that way by anyone, please know directly from me that it is not the truth,” wrote Koplitz in an e-mail to her Honors students four days after the announcement.

The announcement was particularly surprising considering the university honored Koplitz with the 2006 Dux Academicus Award three months before her release as UHP Director.

“(Koplitz) is credited for reviving the University Honors Program in a mere two years, a real feat when considering the obstacles that Hurricane Katrina and a canceled fall semester posed. Koplitz has done research with 27 students on more than 10 projects, proving that students trusted and admired Koplitz,” reads a May 5 story on Loyola’s Web site.

Honors student Braxton Bernard, marketing sophomore, who worked with Koplitz, was disappointed when he heard the news about her departure. “If Dr. Koplitz leaves and Skelly is only serving as the interim director of the program, how will there be any continuity in the Honors Program? Dr. Koplitz did a fantastic job as the director. I honestly don’t see any reason to replace her.”

While many students and faculty feel Koplitz rejuvenated the program, her removal was an administrative choice. According to Scully, Koplitz and Loyola administration could not reach an agreement regarding the program’s financial needs.

“Koplitz wanted to expand the program in ways that the university simply cannot afford post-Katrina,” he said.

Once it was determined that Koplitz would not return as director, Skelly McCay was nominated to serve as the interim director.

“Lynn (Koplitz) approached me over the summer about taking over the program,” said McCay. “She had the idea to create a full-time staff position that merged the position of Honors Program Director with the Director of Nationally Competitive Awards, instead of having separate faculty advisors for each program.”

Administrative officials are confident that McCay has the qualifications and the know-how to get both jobs done at once.

McCay is a graduate of Loyola’s Honors program and was awarded the prestigious British Marshall Scholarship in 2001. With such experience, Scully said, “(Harris and I are) confident that Skelly can walk in and run the program well.”

And McCay has already begun his management tasks.

“As of right now, I have met and talked with almost all of the Honors students,” McCay said. “They have moved on and settled into the situation. Now I just want to make sure that they are all educated about the requirements of the program so that they can graduate from the Honors Program with no problems.

“I have to be there and make sure that the Honors students are taken care of,” he said.

But, as interim director, it won’t be long before McCay’s face is replaced by another. Loyola intends to seek a full-time advisor outside of the university who can fully dedicate himself or herself to the position.

Kelly Roth can be reached at [email protected].

Skelly McCay, University Honors Program interim director, discusses competitive awards with Megan Harvell, sociology senior. (Tom Macom)