Grad fair helps seniors prepare for big day

Fair is one-stop shop for all graduation needs

Loyola’s grad fair can help anxious seniors get one step closer to graduation.

From March 4 – 6 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Danna Center, undergrad and graduate students are encouraged to participate in the grad fair. Kathy Gros, director of student records and registration services, said when students arrive, they need to stop by her section of the fair.

“We make sure we have all of their accurate information; if they are going to participate in the commencement and how their name is going to appear on their diploma. We also check if a student is graduating with honors and make sure it is indicated,” said Gros.

The grad fair process usually takes around half an hour to complete, and students only need to go one of the three days. There is no charge to go to the fair. The money for the cap and gown is already included in the senior’s graduation fee, but announcements or rings cost extra.

Music industry senior Apolline Croze has been ahead of the curve with finding out about the grad fair, she had been looking forward to it for some time.

“I was very excited last semester, so I went to the Loyola website and looked it up,” Croze said.

Students will also check in with financial aid, order announcements and rings and meet with the graduation photographer. The graduation portraits are done by Candid Campus Photography, and the announcements and rings are done by Balfour. Candid Campus will also be taking photos at the graduation ceremony when students are on stage. At the grad fair, a cap and gown will be available for students for their portraits. Students are not obligated to purchase their portraits. They will receive an email saying where they can view the photos and then decide if they wish to order prints.

While the idea of graduation can be both thrilling ad overwhelming, it can also be a sad time for students.

“These past four years have gone by very quickly and I have enjoyed them. Going to Loyola was one of the best decisions of my life,” Uriel Carrasco, music industries senior, said.

Croze feels that Loyola has prepared her for graduation and for the future.

“Obviously I am excited for graduation, I can’t wait. I feel these four years were great for me to mature and be ready to actually confront my new life. I know that finding a job won’t be necessarily easy, but I’m still looking forward to it,” said Croze.

Raquel Derganz Baker can be reached at [email protected]