Crimes makes a comeback

At Issue: The recent crime resurgence in crime poses threat to students

New Orleanians have willingly embraced the recent return of other residents and local businesses as the city continues on its path toward normalcy. But most locals would agree that one aspect of pre-Katrina New Orleans could have remained elsewhere.

As the number of local murders in the past month has surpassed those in Iraq, it seems like New Orleans has once again established itself as an unsafe place to live. The glimmer of hope provided by the lull in crime immediately following Katrina seemed to vanish with the floodwaters.

Since Loyola’s campus is immersed in this dangerous city, students are rightfully concerned with their safety. This recent trend especially poses a threat to students who live on campus.

While students can certainly take certain measures to protect themselves, University Police must play a vital role in maintaining on-campus safety. Police are seemingly non-existent on campus late at night, when many students are leaving the library or extracurricular activities. The mere presence of police is comforting to these students.

Loyola has taken a good step in the right direction by developing a task force to ensure the safety of students on campus and to study ways to improve what might be lacking in regard to security.

As UP commits to do their part to adapt to living in an unsafe city, students should also do the same. They should travel in groups when going out and while walking around campus late at night. Students should make a conscious effort avoid situations in which they may be susceptible to crime.

It is true that the recent crime has been predominately due to gang violence and drug-related disputes. However, it is extremely easy to become an innocent victim in one of those situations if one isn’t careful.

Locals know, and out-of-state students have discovered, that New Orleans is a wonderful, culturally-rich city despite its shortcomings. As much of what we missed about New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina returns, we must work to end the violence and murder that we would like to forget. If residents and local law enforcement take measures to end the perpetuating cycle of violence, New Orleans may one day be a city with both cultural merit and a low crime rate.