Finances major concern

Like many first-year students across the nation, some freshmen at Loyola are concerned about the struggling economy.

A survey titled “The American Freshman: National Norms Fall 2010,” which has been collecting data for 25 years, recently demonstrated an increase in the stress level of first-year students, according to the article “Record Level of Stress Found in College Freshmen,” by Tamar Lewin for “The New York Times.”

From the information gathered in the survey, it is believed the reason for this increase is mainly due to pressure caused by the economic recession. According to Alicia Bourque, director of the University Counseling Center, there has been an increase in the amount of freshmen at Loyola who have been feeling pressure due to the economic recession.

“Financial concerns that could increase upon graduation have surfaced with students in recent years since the economic downturn,” Bourque said. Many freshmen seek counseling to talk about their concerns with the economy, and their need to devise a plan to ensure they will obtain a job after college, or even before then.

“These individuals talk about their worries and develop a plan of action, both immediate and long term, to figure out the best way to handle such situations and to feel as prepared as possible,” Bourque said. Many freshmen, however, like mass communication major Lindsey Rouselle and marketing major Katherine McDonald, said that even if they are worried about the economic recession, they try to maintain a positive attitude to help themselves overcome the situation.

“It definitely worries me, it’s definitely intimidating to see all the emphasis on the economy, but when there’s a will there’s a way. I’m definitely going to find a way after college,” Rousselle said.

Rouselle also believes she is getting a good education, which will allow her to find economic stability. 

“I do have concerns about it, but with the business internship programs and the mentorship programs, hopefully I will be able to network to find opportunities to prepare my resume,” McDonald said.

Bourque suggests that although it is beneficial to begin planning for the future at an early time, it is also necessary for students to realize the economy is something that is out of their control, and they should focus on what they can control, which is preparing themselves.

“I would encourage students to seek out those areas where they can feel in control in the midst of an economy that is out of their control,” Bourque said.

Vannia Zelaya can be reached at [email protected]