Pro-choice doesn’t necessarily mean anti-life

Students take stance on abortion
    Ashley Nesbitt and Tori Buckley

Abortion is a very loaded topic, causing many people to make snap judgments. It is important that people do not blindly accept the views of their parents, political party or religious figures, but seek unbiased information pertaining to the topic in order to understand the arguments of both sides before choosing their own stance.

The reasons a woman might choose abortion are endless; regardless, it is unfair for a single individual to decide whether an abortion is the right decision for other women.

Pro-lifers typically argue women should carry the fetus to term and give it up for adoption if the pregnancy is unwanted; however, approximately 130,000 children go unadopted each year. Many people would choose giving a child up for adoption over having an abortion, but at the same time, the majority of people with healthy reproductive systems will have children biologically instead of adopting children in need of a home. The majority of children put up for adoption spend their childhood floating between households, most of which are negative environments, risking the chance the chance of poor psychological development. Pro-lifers argue how horrible it is to deprive life, yet are willing to bring unwanted, unloved children into the world and leave them to fend for themselves from birth.

We expected support from Loyola in our endeavor to create an organization dedicated to pro-choice-related discussions and community action, as well as sexual education and responsibility. Although we received over 300 signatures from Loyola students and faculty supporting us, the school has repeatedly denied our charter.

While we understand Catholic dogma is 100 percent against abortion, we are in no way trying to convince anyone to have an abortion. We want to educate our peers on what it actually means to be pro-choice by expelling the negative myths. When a woman is impregnated while living in a stifled, unsupportive environment, it is easier for her to have an abortion than put up with the shame of going through an unplanned pregnancy. We whole-heartedly believe if we had been allowed to provide a safe haven to talk about all reproductive choices in an open manner, the abortion rate would actually decrease.

Last semester, Loyola Life made quite a significant statement for their position by displaying the Cemetery of the Innocent in the Peace Quad. Personally, we feel that a display of this magnitude was completely inappropriate, especially since it was in the middle of campus. We have always felt Loyola strives to be a supportive, safe environment for all in attendance. To force all people on campus to view this very emotional display could be extremely upsetting to any who ever considered abortion. The Cemetery of the Innocent was designed to make people feel extreme emotion, but we feel as though no one took into consideration that it could simultaneously depress and alienate much of the student body. To us, being pro-choice means providing unconditional support so women gain the strength to make the best decision for their situation.

Ahsley Nesbitt is a psychology senior.

She can be reached at [email protected]

Tori Buckley is a psychology senior.

She can be reached at [email protected]

Protesters gather in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 22 to protest Roe v. Wade in the March for Life. Loyola students travelled to join the crowd gathered for the march. (Photo Courtesy of the Associated Press)