Getting in the zone

SGA leaders express disappointment in new smoking policy
    Getting in the zone

Despite university statements, Student Government Association members deny having a role in implementing the new smoking policy that restricts smoking on campus to 10 areas.
    “I got back to the SGA office, and there was a map on my desk (of the new smoking areas),” said SGA Vice President Ashley Shabankareh, music education senior.
    According to Shabankareh, SGA suggested the original idea for a smoking policy and helped choose 13 areas to be designated at the beginning of the school year.
    “Initially, we were working with Tobacco Free Living and Health Education at Loyola. They had gotten a grant and we wanted to work with them to get more things for those who are smokers,” she said.
    SGA originally wanted to add new benches and covered smoking areas, she said. The benches were installed in October, but of the six areas designated on the main campus last month, only one is covered, making access difficult during poor weather.
    “Why would you have five areas that are not covered?” she said. “It’s not right for those who are smokers.”
    The final decision in November passed without SGA’s official approval. The number of smoking areas was reduced from 13 to 10, said Shabankareh.
    “That was done by Father Wildes and Paul Fleming (director of Physical Plant),” she said. “It was not chosen by SGA, as much as everyone wants to believe it was.”
    The measure was passed as policy and not as a resolution, which prevented SGA from being able to vote on the issue, she said.
    “While I am a non-smoker, I never had a problem with people smoking where it’s now not allowed. I understand why people are upset,” said Garrett Fontenot, history freshman.
    Many within the SGA senate and executive board staff are in opposition.
    “All of us were trying to look at the best interests of the students,” Shabankareh said.
    Father Wildes denied ever hearing of any disagreement and said that SGA was involved in the policy-making.
    “I kept in touch with Cade (SGA president) and student government,” he said.
    If anything, he modified and softened the policy, he said.
    The new policy prohibits smoking except in 10 designated areas marked by green signs. Six of the areas are on the main campus, and the other four are on the Broadway campus.
    “As a chain smoker, I can understand certain feet from a doorway, but there’s just not enough smoking areas,” said Nicole Okemura, biology sophomore.
    Father Wildes rejected responsibility for choosing the areas.
    “I didn’t get involved on that level,” he said.
    The original proposal included the possibility of fines to help enforce the policy, but the idea was overturned by the time it was finally implemented.
    “I made a deliberate decision not to put in any penalties,” Wildes said. “I would like to create a culture where we respect other people’s decisions. It’s not just UP’s responsibility — it’s everyone’s responsibility.”
    “It’s completely ineffective without fines,” said SGA Senator Alex Fournet, international business sophomore. “We submitted a plan and (Wildes) completely redid it.”
    Wildes cited his own experience as motivation to make Loyola a smoke-free campus.
    “I am an ex-smoker. I have zero sympathy. I know exactly the kind of harm people are doing to themselves,” he said.
    Shabankareh’s own past as a smoker had the opposite effect on her. She hopes to get Loyola to return to its old policy.
    “I’m trying to work to get those areas back,” she said.
    She said the matter is being discussed in the SGA senate, but could be a while before any change takes place.
    “I’m disappointed that the original policy that SGA gave to Father Wildes will not be implemented,” said SGA Senior Senator-at-Large LeeAnn Moss, political science junior.  “While I hope that members of the Loyola community will utilize the designated smoking areas, I see this new policy having little to no effect on the current smoking situation on campus.”

Masako Hirsch can be reached at [email protected].