Amassing accolades aplenty, Wolfpack women win GCAC playoff opener

Smith twins, Schork and Plaisance honored hours before tip-off
    Star guard Trenese Smith dribble-penetrates past a Dillard defender during their 73-59 win over Blue Devils Feb. 28 at The Den. Smith, who scored a game-high 28 points in the GCAC playoff win, found out she won Conference Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year hours before.
    Tyler Kaufman

Hours before the Wolfpack women’s basketball team steamrolled Dillard 73-59 in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference tournament’s quarterfinals for their first playoff win, they added another chapter to an unprecedented year.

The GCAC announced that Trenese Smith merited conference Player and Freshman of the Year awards; coach Dobee Plaisance won Coach of the Year; and the GCAC named Trenese, twin sister Trenell and fellow backcourt mate Kiely Schork to the All-Conference team.

“I think it’s a testament to the quality of student-athlete this institution is capable of attracting,” Plaisance said. “Trenese is only a freshman winning the two biggest honors in the conference. Kiely is now a two-time all-conference player and Trenell is a freshman all-conference player.”

Trenese Smith, psychology sophomore, has averaged 16.8 points a game this season and has scored 21 times in double figures, 11 times going over 20 points.

Plaisance, meanwhile, coached the Wolfpack to a program best 23 wins overall and 16 wins in conference. She also helped the team and school secure its first ever GCAC crown, meanwhile leading them to the No. 21 ranking in the NAIA. It’s her first award in 12 years as head coach at Loyola.

Schork, a dangerous three-point shooter, is averaging 11.7 points a game. Trenell Smith, psychology sophomore, tallies 13.3 points a game and averages 3.7 assists a contest.

On her awards, Trenese Smith said, “I had no idea. I was shocked”.

“I’ve been proud of our efforts all year and it’s a testament to this institution,” Plaisance said.

WOLFPACK WOMEN WIN FIRST PLAYOFF OPENER

With the vengeance Trenese Smith took The Den’s court, it’s as if she’d never won the recognitions she had just hours before and was trying prove a point.

Within four minutes, Smith had scorched Dillard for 8 points on two three-pointers and a field goal, powering Loyola to a 14-2 lead right out the starting blocks. She ended with a game-high 28 points, shooting six-of-ten from behind the arc.

The Wolfpack, who hasn’t lost at The Den since January 2006, led by as many as 19 points, after a three-pointer from Trenese’s twin sis Trenell (13 points) made the score 60-41 with 12:11 to go.

Schork, mass communication senior, added 12 points, all on three-point shots. Criminal justice graduate Dani Holland added 10.

“It was a big win for us,” Plaisance said. “Dillard was one of the hottest teams in the conference, and we had our hands full with them.”

Blue Devil star Roshownda Bolton plugged Loyola for 14 points.

The top-seeded Wolfpack women advance to face Mobile in the semifinals on Friday. Tip-off is for 7 p.m.

Ramon Vargas can be reached at [email protected].