Use of St. Ignatius statue as mannequin disrespectful

Patrick Lynch
    Patrick Lynch

On Jan. 21, as I entered the Danna Center to attend the reception following President Wildes’ convocation speech, I noticed the statue of Ignatius Loyola was wearing a New Orleans Hornets T-shirt. Some students or group, once again, used the statue of our patron saint and founder of the Society of Jesus as a mannequin or billboard.

As a Roman Catholic, a benefactor of Jesuit High School, a companion of the Jesuits of the New Orleans province and faculty member, I find this practice appalling. I can only imagine that the Laborde family, who donated the statue, would be equally shocked.

What ignoramus would do something so juvenile? Why does the administration allow such behavior to continue? Both Father Wildes and Vice Provost for Academic Affairs Edward Kvet had to walk by the statue as they entered the Danna Center. Yet, the shirt was still on the statue when I left the reception an hour later.

This is a Catholic university! Thus, one would expect that our students would have a deep relationship with Christ and admiration and respect for our religion. “Dressing up” the statue of Ignatius Loyola does not further free speech or critical thinking. Rather, it encourages disrespect and unthinking behavior.

Patrick Lynch is a visiting assistant professor of accounting.

He can be reached at

[email protected]

The statue of St. Ignatius Loyola wears a Mardi Gras T-shirt on March 3. This statue is decorated in accordance with varoius holidays and events the Loyola community takes part in. (WADNER PIERRE/Photo Editor)