Chessman says farewell to Loyla, students

Kupferer also to depart this June
    Hollie Chessman wants to pursue goal of academic vice  presidency
    Hollie Chessman wants to pursue goal of academic vice presidency
    Loyola has begun a search to replace two of its faculty in the Office of Co-Curricular Programs.

Tom Kupferer, assistant director for co-curricular programs, will be leaving at the beginning of June to pursue a career in medicine.

Hollie Chessman, associate director for student activities, left Loyola April 3 to serve as the associate director of residential life at George Mason University.

“I wasn’t actively looking for a job at all. I mean, I love Loyola. I love the students. There are so many great things about being here,” Chessman said. “I love what I do here, but this job at George Mason is going to help me become poised to become a vice president some day.”

Chessman was persuaded to go to George Mason University upon learning that it would be an opportunity to serve under her mentor from Tulane University, where she worked before coming to Loyola in 2005.

She added that classes toward her Ph.D. in higher education administration would be paid for at George Mason University.

Chessman is grateful for the experience she has gained at Loyola.

“I have really enjoyed working with everybody. I’ve learned a lot about myself that I didn’t know,” she said.

“It’s helped me to grow as a better professional. I’ve learned how to be a better supervisor. I’ve learned a lot about advising student organizations,” she said.

Kupferer voiced similar reflections about Loyola.

“It’s been a good time here. I’m very thankful for all of the support I have received from student affairs, from faculty that I’ve talked to, from students,” he said.

“You always want to leave your job better off than how you came in and I feel like I’m leaving on a good note,” he said.

Kupferer will be leaving in June to finish prerequisites for medical school in his home state of Illinois. From there, he hopes to enter a medical program.

“Ultimately, when it came down to deciding what I wanted to do, I found that my calling truly was in medicine – I have benefited greatly from being here and being around the Jesuit ideals and the whole idea of educating the holistic student,” he said.

“Everything leading up to now has really prepared me to go and be a better doctor,” he said.

Cissy Petty, vice president for student affairs and associate provost, stated through email that the two positions should be filled by May.

“Currently we have approximately 60 applicants for the assistant position and 40 for the associate position,” she stated.

Chessman wishes her replacement would get the same sort of reception that she received.
    “I hope that the students welcome (the replacement) with open arms and give that person the same experience that I’ve had with Loyola students, which has been open, caring, supportive,” she said.

Melissa Hirsch can be reached at [email protected].

Tom Kupferer plans to pursue a career in medicine