Library, residence halls offer resources

The library expands resources for exams

Loyola’s Monroe Library and Residential Life will be offering students several resources to help ease the stress of final exams this semester.

As in the past, the library will be open 24 hours a day so students can study whenever they choose. This semester, the 24-hour days started Dec. 5 and will end Dec. 17. Students will have to use their student IDs to enter at the computer lab entrance of the building after 9 p.m.

The library will also be providing treats for Loyola students during these last two weeks.

“Dec. 9 they’re doing a hot cocoa, we’re changing it from tea last year, and it’ll be on the first floor,” said Ria Newhouse, the Learning Commons coordinator.

Newhouse also added that there will be a surprise doughnut night only for Loyola students during finals week. Additionally, the library will offer free coffee and tea at midnight throughout the week.

The library is in high demand during this week. Newhouse said that students from Tulane University and Xavier University can also use the library, but they will not have access to the building after 9 p.m. during finals week.

“We don’t want to kick people out but we want to ensure there are enough resources for Loyola students,” Newhouse said.

Study rooms will also be available, but cannot to be reserved or renewed due to the high demand. To use a room, two Loyola students must be present with their student IDs. Many students, like Gretchen Hirt, theater/mass communication junior, believe the library is a convenient place to prepare for exams.

“I think the 24-hour idea definitely helps, and free food always helps the brain. I know that a coffee shop will close at some point so I might end up coming to Loyola,” Hirt said.

As Hirt pointed out, the library may be convenient, but it is not the only place where students can study. Many students choose to study in the residence halls and Residential Life is also offering snacks and refreshments to help these students study.

According to Amy Boyle, associate director of Residential Life, the residence halls are to follow the policy for finals week, which begins Dec. 11 and finishes Dec. 17.

“Our policy states there are 24 hour quiet hours in the residence halls for finals week. Some buildings are holding study breaks throughout the week and those times and dates can be verified with individual area directors,” Boyle said.

Some resident assistants, like Angelique Hill, music industry studies senior, will have activities and treats for the residents of her wing, sixth floor south in Biever Hall.

“I was planning to do a movie night the Thursday before finals and do a game night with brownies and hot chocolate,” Hill said. Hill also advised the residents of her floor to exercise and use other methods of releasing stress to stay healthy during finals week. “People tend to sleep less and eat more junk food. It is often very easy to get sick,” Hill said.

Accounting and finance senior Layna Chui agreed that aside from taking advantage of the resources available on campus, students have to remember to take care of their health.

“Without your health you can’t study, so health should come before all,” Chui said.

According to Juan Marshall, the building manager at the University Sports Complex, a free chair massage will be offered from Dec. 9 through Dec. 14 as an option for students to release stress.

Staff from the Patrick Miller Amazing Hands Massage Therapy will be there from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday, and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

“Just drop in during any of the available times,” Marshall said.

Vannia Zelaya can be reached at [email protected]