Relieving Hunger

Sociology senior Eva Pesta passes out peanut butter cups, some of the residents’ favorites, to shelter inhabitants on March 15. Pesta is part of the LUCAPHunger Relief program which helps to feed New Orleans’ homeless population.
    Angie Hernandez/The Maroon

In the dark Loyola University Community Action Program lounge in the basement of the Danna Student Center, three volunteers sit at a table preparing sandwiches for a men’s homeless shelter and kitchen.

Sociology sophomore Katherine McGuire, sociology senior Eva Pesta, and sociology freshman Ellen Rice are members of the Loyola University Community in Action Program’s Hunger Relief — a program that helps feed the homeless in New Orleans.

With a $100 budget per week, LUCAP volunteers are able to give ham, turkey and cheese sandwiches, along with chips, fruits or candy, and water to help feed the 40 to 80 people that frequent the Ozanam Inn each Sunday. 

The students talked about their experiences working with the shelter.

“I’m just around (the shelter) so much. I feel comfortable. They are human beings — just because they don’t have a home does make them any different,” said Pesta.

Once the students arrive at Ozanam Inn, located on Camp Street, they step out of the university van, grab two bags full of sandwiches, water bottles, oranges and peanut butter cups — a favorite of one of the shelter residents. 

As soon as volunteers grab the food bags, a swarm of people crowd around them. They run out of food within a matter of minutes, leaving a great number of the inhabitants still hungry.

“I feel really sad when people keep asking me for food and I can’t give it to them,” Pesta said.
    “Nobody should have to be turned away if they’re hungry.”

LUCAP representatives said that the program is long-running.

“Hunger Relief has been a LUCAP program for a long time, possibly the longest,” said the director of public relations and sociology junior Chad Carson.

The Hunger Relief program goes to Ozanam every Sunday at noon. Students can sign up to volunteer in the LUCAP office in the basement of the Danna Center, or visit one of the organization’s 5 p.m. Monday meetings for more information.

Angie Hernandez can be reached at [email protected].

Sociology sophomore Katherine McGuire distributes sandwiches to the residents of Ozanam Inn on March 15. McGuire is apart of the LUCAPHunger Relief program. (Angie Hernandez/The Maroon)

Sociology senior Eva Pesta talks to one of the residents at Ozanam Inn. (Angie Hernandez/The Maroon)