‘Pack stops Statesmen, 78-71

Zumo records 30 against NCAA Div. II Delta State
    Luke Zumo, psychology senior, led the Wolfpack with 30 points shooting five for eight from the perimeter.
    Tyler Kaufman

Emotions flared from the Loyola bench in the exciting second half of the men’s basketball game against Delta State last Monday.

With Loyola cradling a 70-69 lead, head coach Michael Giorlando took to the court after an official failed to stop the game when an injured Delta State player smeared blood on Nick Tuszynski, general business studies sophomore. Soon after, the momentum shifted back in the ‘Pack’s favor when Darrinton Moncrieffe, management freshman, slapped away a Statesmen attempt in the paint to maintain the lead.

“He came out of nowhere with a block shot that really helped the team,” Giorlando said.

To the soundtrack of a cheering crowd and a live brass band Loyola took an early lead in the first half. Luke Zumo, psychology junior, recorded 19 points in the first half – eventually scoring a career high 30 points for the night. Mario Faranda, finance junior, ended the night with 17 points sinking 5 of 8 from the stripe early on.

Giorlando looked to his bench early allowing Matt McCabe, marketing sophomore, and Moncrieffe a solid eight minutes each in the first half. “We wanted to keep our top guys fresh,” Giorlando said. “We have full confidence in anyone that goes in.”

Delta State took their only lead of the night with two minutes left in the first half. But after a Loyola timeout the ‘Pack secured rerouped at the foul line, before the first buzzer.

Several teammates praised the support from the crowds. Torry Beaulieu, history sophomore, said, “The fans create a good atmosphere to play in and it helped us out a lot.”

Giorlando said, “The crowd was amazing. The team and coaching staff and I are so excited the spirit of Ignatius Loyola is around us. This is the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen on a Monday night before a holiday!”

After the halftime show featuring the Loyola Dance Team and cheerleaders, the ‘Pack returned with Zumo sinking the first shot. Beaulieu, and Sean Bennett, general business studies sophomore, contributed with 16 points and ten assists between the two.

From then on, the ‘Pack kept the lead for a 78-70 win against Delta State making it the team’s first 5-1 record in 41 seasons.

“We played really well as a team. It was our best team effort so far this season,” Zumo said. “We really focused on the fact that Delta State had really good offensive weapons and we stepped up and played as a team on the offensive end.”

Both Bennett and Giorlando said the team needs to work on their communication with the zone defense, but Giorlando said the team is “optimistic and excited” about the rest of the season.