Alumnus dies in Buddig Hall, cause of death still unknown

Michael Jones died Feb. 14 in Budding Hall. He graduated from Loyola in 2008.

Michael Jones, A’08, died in a Buddig Hall dormitory room Feb. 14 while visiting a student.

New Orleans Emergency Medical Services came to campus, but the body was unresponsive to resuscitation. The cause of death is unclassified pending toxicology reports, the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office said.

Officials are awaiting toxicology reports to determine if Jones was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when he died, said John Gagliano, the coroner’s chief investigator.

Jones was visiting his girlfriend Caitlin Fowler, marketing senior and Buddig resident, said Jones’ friend Rod Boden.

Emergency vehicles responded to a 911 call, and the university responded as soon as officials saw the vehicles, said Meredith Hartley, director of Loyola public affairs. Residential Life officials notified all Residential Life staff immediately, she said.

University police are cooperating with the New Orleans Police Department in the investigation, she said.

The public affairs office e-mailed an official statement informing the Loyola community of the death the morning of Feb. 16, and University Ministry sent a similar e-mail that afternoon.

Fowler’s mother declined comment on behalf of her daughter.

Jones, 23, was a native of Chestertown, Md., and is survived by his mother, Dusti Jones, and father, Robert Jones.

A music industry studies graduate, Jones started a music industry e-commerce business called Lucid Arts Entertainment LLC with his friend Edward Centofante in the summer of 2007.

“His idea was to make a company for independent musicians,” Centofante said, who’s known Jones his whole life. Centofante said the company’s mission was to help promote bands and help them profit without exploiting them.

Centofante said Jones had gone to college in Boston for a while and felt creatively stifled. When Jones came to Loyola, Centofante said Jones was excited to be able to merge his passion for music and business.

“Luckily he was able to find a program at a really good school and mold those programs together,” Centofante said.

Jones’ friends, family and professors all remember his passion and skill as a guitarist.
    “Mike Jones was agitated with imagination and consumed with mastering the music business,” said John Snyder, a professor of music industry studies. “He didn’t so much want this for himself, it was mostly for others. Above all else, he was tireless in trying to make something happen for musicians and others in his orbit.”

Jones’ mother, Dusti Jones, described him as a “fundraiser,” referring to his ability to raise money for anything from bands to lacrosse teams to Katrina victims.

In December 2005 Jones’ band and other independent bands raised over $2,600 for hurricane victims through a benefit concert at the Chester River Yacht and Country Club in Maryland, the same location where his memorial will be held March 28.

The proceeds went to the Loyola University of New Orleans Katrina Relief Fund and the American Red Cross.

“I know this is a drop in the bucket, but if we all keep dropping, pretty soon the bucket will be full,” Jones had said.

Jones’ friends said his goodness will be missed most of all.

“He was overflowing with love for people, experiences and music,” said Terry Gutberlet, A’08.

“He was always bringing good people together, just being happy, being such a good soul,” Boden said.

Friends can post memories, pictures, testimonials, condolences and find further information at http://mikeejonesmemorial.com.

Katie Urbaszewski can be reached at [email protected].

Jaune Jackson contributed to this report and can be reached at [email protected].