Michael Olson remembers first year at library

Michael Olson, dean of libraries, is celebrating his first year anniversary at Loyola University New Orleans.

“My first year was absolutely delightful. I really enjoy working with an exceptional group of people at the library as together we try to offer the very best resources, services and spaces to the Loyola community,” Olson said.

Connecting with people is one of Olson’s favorite things he’s done so far.

“Be they individuals on my team or across campus, prospective students and their parents, other library deans in national consortia, Loyola alumni, etc. I do this daily, which is why I really love what I do,” Olson said.

Olson is proud to report that in Loyola’s current survey, students are satisfied with the library’s efficiency.

Although student satisfaction is high, Olson said he still has goals that he would like to implement.

“My goal in listening and understanding was [and remains] to work better with the campus community to effect meaningful changes and improve the status quo at the Monroe Library whenever feasible,” Olson said.

Nancy Clarke, assistant to the dean of libraries, said she believes the time working with Olson over the last year has been an excellent experience.

“Dean Olson is a good listener and communicator, especially regarding the Monroe Library successes and opportunities to provide even better service to our patrons.  He is forward thinking and open to new ideas and suggestions for improvement.  It comes across to all that meet him that he is very approachable and truly likes people,” Clarke said.

Olson and his team want to sustain a nationally recognized best-in-class library. The Princeton Review ranked Monroe Library “Best College Library” in the 378 Best Colleges.

“We will continue to embrace users’ preferences by providing information resources in digital, print and archival forms. We seek to provide even more varied types of learning and social spaces in the building,” Olson said.

Olson seeks to provide even more varied types of learning and social spaces in the library, as well as improve their internet presence so that anyone from anywhere at anytime may consult the libraries offerings, Olson said. While a year is a short period of time, Olson has had the pleasure of having a positive year so far.

“There have been so many memorable moments. But one category I have special fondness for is the high volume of positive feedback sent to my team by our users. I love hearing how delighted so many library users are, in very differentiated ways.,” Olson said.

Olson previously worked at Harvard, UCLA, Clark University, and most recently UNC at Charlotte.

“Two years ago, I received a phone call from a California search firm commissioned by Loyola to identify candidates for the dean’s position.After applying, interviewing as a finalist, and accepting Loyola’s offer, I began my appointment as Dean of Libraries and Professor on August 1, 2012.”

Taylor Denson can be reached at [email protected]