Learning commons a success for Monroe Library

With last-minute assignments due and finals approaching, students are flocking en masse to Monroe Library, and the Learning Commons is abuzz with students in panic mode.

The Learning Commons, which were introduced this semester, are located on the first floor of the library. What used to be a room full of periodicals and individual computer workstations now holds several tables, dry-erase boards, couches and a full-service circulation desk.

Throughout the semester, students were able to work together in this new environment.

“It’s a sociable place,” said Erin Dunne, mass communication junior. “People are able to relax when they are not working.”

Dunne, along with her classmates, found the area particularly useful for working on group projects. “I especially like the dry-erase boards,” said Dunne. “You can utilize them when offering tutorials for other students.”

Deborah Poole, Associate Dean of Public Services in Monroe Library, said in an e-mail to The Maroon that based on the majority of the feedback the library has received, the Learning Commons has been a success. Poole says it provides a necessary commodity for the changing needs and priorities of students.

A student library advisory committee has been created to offer suggestions and oversee student-oriented facets of the library. Poole said this group has been essential to the success of the Learning Commons.

Poole reports that there has been little negative feedback. She said the library staff trusts that students will be mature enough to handle any situation properly.

The library welcomes any input about the types of services, spaces and equipment students would like to see added, Poole said. Loyola students, staff and faculty can expect to see more changes in the near future as the library explores possibilities such as more high-end workstations and study spaces.

Jaune Jackson can be reached at [email protected].