Calzada elected as permanent dean

Calzada chosen as new dean of the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences
Maria+Calzada%2C+professor+of+mathematical+sciences%2C+poses+in+front+of+her+bookshelf.+Calzada+will+assume+the+role+as+permanent+dean+of+the+College+of+the+Humanities+and+Natural+Sciences.+
HILLARY CORMIER/CONTRIBUTING PHOTOGAPHER
Maria Calzada, professor of mathematical sciences, poses in front of her bookshelf. Calzada will assume the role as permanent dean of the College of the Humanities and Natural Sciences.

Maria Calzada, professor of mathematical sciences, has been selected as the new dean of the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences.

Calzada has been serving as interim dean since previous dean, JoAnn Cruz, left at the end of the 2011-12 academic year. Calzada will officially assume the role of dean on July 1.

“I am looking forward to doing the work. There is a lot of work to be done still with the common curriculum, and I would like increase funding for undergraduate research and faulty research. I would like to see more international travel for students and rich programs for incoming students,” Calzada said.

The university did a national search for a new dean and Calzada was selected out of numerous candidates.

According to Marc Manganaro, provost and vice president of academic affairs, Calzada stood out not only because she was already a member of the university.

“Dean Calzada has 20 years of service to the university, she is a dedicated faculty member and she emerged among the candidates because of the confidence and ideas she has,” Manganaro said.

Computational mathematics senior Precious Esie said she thinks Calzada is a great choice.

“I did research with Dr. Calzada; I was her mentee, if you will. I liked working with her because she was passionate about it. She’s passionate about teaching. Of course she’ll do a good job, I know that firsthand,” Esie said.

Hannah Iannazzo can be reached at [email protected]