News Briefs

Meningitis kills Dillard student

A little over a month before the second anniversary of Loyola student Trent Wise Fucich’s death from meningitis, Dillard student Brandon Byes died of the same illness on Jan. 18 in his campus apartment.

Students were offered free vaccinations, and close friends of Byes were given treatments. WWLTV.com posted the Department of Health and Hospitals’ explanation: “These infections are not highly contagious but can be fatal … college freshmen who live in dormitories have an increased risk of getting meningitis.”

After Fucich’s death, meningitis vaccinations were required for all Loyola students.

Pump problem closes Underground

The Underground was closed Jan. 22 due to general sump pump malfunctions. Water backed up into Sandella’s and its storage. Physical Plant and WFF re-mopped floors and cleaned counters so that it could open the next day.

“It literally is a day in the life of this building,” Chris Cameron, director of Co-Curricular Programs, said.

Institute debuts ‘I Am Music’ mural

The Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz recently debuted its “I Am Music” mural in the cyber café on the 4th floor of the Communications/Music Complex.

The mural was Monk Institute director Suzan Jenkins’ idea, and is a collaboration between the graphic design department, the Monk Institute, The Mystic Blue Sign Shop and Loyola.

“I Am Music” is a poem by Allan C. Inman. Visual arts students drew the words of the poem by hand.