Retired nursing professor dies

Cathryn Glanville, a tenured professor who worked in the School of Nursing from 1992 to 2006, died in Fayetteville, Ga. on Aug. 5.

“She was one of the few full professors we had here,” said Gail Tumulty, director of the Nursing School. “She was a quiet but stable force.”

Glanville was not only a teacher, but also a psychiatric nurse. She continued her nursing job until 1996, four years after she started teaching at Loyola, according to her daughter Denise Glanville.

Glanville returned to Loyola after Katrina for the Spring 2006 semester, but she retired shortly after being diagnosed with lung cancer. She went to Georgia to be with her family, said her daughter.

Glanville graduated in 1951 with a bachelor’s degree from Tuskegee Institute, according to a Loyola press release. She then attended Columbia University, where she graduated in 1957 with a master’s in curriculum and teaching for parent-child nursing.

She returned to Tuskegee Institute, where she earned a master’s degree in education in 1965.

In 1988 she completed her doctorate degree in early childhood development from Nova Southeastern University. She completed her post-doctoral studies at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Prior to teaching at Loyola, Dr. Glanville was an associate professor at, among other places, the Medical College of Georgia, the University of South Carolina and McMaster University in Ontario, Canada.

Glanville is survived by two sons, two daughters and two grandchildren, 11 and 15.

Her older son, Ural Glanville, is a judge for the Fulton County superior court. Her younger son, Courtenay Glanville, is a mechanical engineer.

Her daughters, whom Denise said were influenced by their mother’s nursing career, both joined the health field. Denise is a clinical psychiatrist, and her sister Carla is a mental health therapist.

Chris Jennings can be reached at [email protected].