“Today Show” anchor visits Loyola students

PHOTO COURTESY OF HAROLD BAQUET
Hoda Kotb of “The Today Show” speaks to students about her life as a journalist. Kotb gave life advice, telling journalism students to believe in themselves and never settle for anything in their careers.

When “The Today Show” co-anchor Hoda Kotb came to visit with Loyola students last Thursday, it was standing room only.

Kotb spoke to a full room of Loyola, Tulane and Xavier students about her journalism career and how she got where she is today.

As an eager Virginia Tech graduate, Kotb was rejected 27 times before she found the right fit.

“When I graduated from college, I was sure I would get a job immediately. I was so stupid,” Kotb said.

Kotb was driving home after 10 days of being rejected up and down the southeastern U.S., when she got lost in Greenville, Miss. She noticed a billboard advertising their CBS affiliate, she thought she’d give it a try and “get rejected one last time.”

“I met with this little guy named Stan Sandroni. And I’ll never forget it, Stan watched my entire audition tape. He was watching the worst tape in the history of the universe all the way through,” Kotb said.

Sandroni believed in Kotb and hired her. After 27 stops, she had found her place.

After a discouraging beginning, Kotb said it just took one person to believe in her. Recently, she was asked to bring someone to “The Today Show” that changed her life, Kotb proudly brought Stan Sandroni to the stage.

“When you feel discouraged or don’t think you can make it, remember it just takes one. Then you get this weird confidence over you, like you can do anything,” Kotb said.

After working in Greenville, Kotb bounced around before landing at WWL in New Orleans.

“I remember getting off the plane in New Orleans and there was a jazz band playing. I looked around, heard the music and immediately felt at home. You have to follow where your heart is. That’s why I chose to work in New Orleans,” Kotb said.

Kotb is currently working on a book about finding where you belong. She talks about making the wrong choices in life and feeling like she was swimming upstream.

“Then all of a sudden, you wind up in this place and don’t know how you got there. You don’t feel at peace. When it comes down to it, find the job you love and then figure out how to get paid for it. You have to do whatever makes your heart rest,” Kotb said.

For Kotb, leaving New Orleans was one of the hardest things she has done because “it was the best job I’d had in my life.”

“The only thing that could draw me away was a network position. Now I laugh, scratch and drink wine with Kathie Lee,” Kotb said.

In addition to sharing her own career story, Kotb answered questions from aspiring journalists.

Kotb explained that she had always been a rule follower, constantly reading her cue cards and doing exactly what producers told her.

“But one day, while working with Kathie Lee, I realized it’s OK not to be perfect. Too much of TV is scripted. Once you can free yourself it helps you in so many ways. People need their load lightened; they turn to us on ‘Today’ as a release. If you have them laughing, you have them listening. It’s always better to be real than to be perfect,” Kotb said.

Kotb also described her excitement while interviewing the celebrities who pass through NBC’s Studio 1A.

“We’ve been lucky, we get to interview so many cool people. Sometimes I’m like is that Beyonce? What is she doing here?” Kotb said.

One of Kotb’s favorite interviewees was Lady Gaga, who Kotb describes as funny, authentic and “wearing a totally sheer ensemble.”

“She was entertaining and engaging. People I like to interview the most are people who tell the truth,” Kotb said.

Kotb’s respect for authenticity stems from her six years as an anchor in New Orleans.

“In New York, people don’t hug me. If they hug me, they’re either from New Orleans or trying to steal my purse,” Kotb said.

One of Kotb’s strongest moments came from her battle with breast cancer five years ago.

“I think that was one of those weird moments that shaped me but didn’t define me. When you’re at a point when you’re the weakest, this is the time you’re building your strength,” Kotb said.

She took on the “you can’t scare me cancer” mentality. Kotb felt fearless. This is when she found the courage to ask for “The Today Show” position alongside Kathie Lee Gifford.

“After what I’d been through, it seemed like nothing. I swear if I hadn’t gotten sick, I don’t think I would’ve had the guts to go for it,” Kotb said.

Kotb said resilience and confidence have made her who she is today and she encourages students to do whatever makes them happy.

Loyola Society of Professional Journalists Chapter President Hannah Iannazzo made all of this possible. Iannazzo met Kotb in January at her book signing and asked if she would speak at Loyola. Kotb took an immediate liking to Iannazzo and said she “could never say no to Hannah.”

“As a journalism student, I constantly worry that I won’t be able to find a job after college. Hoda’s story gives me hope. It only took one person to believe in her and I really hope that I can find that one person who will give me my shot one day. Hoda is one of those positive people who has the ability to make everyone feel special, it’s hard not to love and admire her,” Iannazzo said.

Kotb wrapped up her talk with a piece of advice she holds close to her heart.

“I interviewed Steve Harvey a while ago and he said something I’ll never forget. He told me he was sick of having fun. Fun is going to the club. Fun is going to the bar and getting drunk. He told me he wanted joy. Joy is opening your eyes in the morning and being completely happy with who you are, who you’re with and what you have. Joy is something you hold on to; fun is what happens on a Saturday night. So, when I wake up at 2:50 in the morning to go to work at ‘Today,’ I have joy,” Kotb said.

Melanie Potter can be reached at [email protected]