‘Pack loses championship at the GCAC tournament

Keelyn Henderson, international business, serves the ball during a game against Spring Hill College. Loyola lost against the Belhaven College CLazers on Nov. 15.
    Tom Macom

The ‘Pack battled University of Mobile for the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference championship, but lost 3 – 0.

Before the match, Mobile was ranked number 23 in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, while Loyola wasn’t ranked.

During the season, Loyola and Mobile split the meetings between them. Mobile swept Loyola playing in Alabama, while the ‘Pack edged them 3 – 2 at The Den, in the last game of the regular season.

Loyola played the championship game without marketing freshman, Amanda Oldani, who was out with a non-sports related injury.

Mary Seals, accounting senior, scored her first of nine kills to get them the first point of the match.

They went on to lead 8 – 3. The ‘Pack, however, couldn’t maintain the lead and lost the set, 25 – 20.

Loyola played catch up for most of the second set. They started the set down 3 – 6, when Seals scored a kill to add them one point.

Sarah Howard, marketing senior, helped her teammates earn kills as she had 23 assists in the game. The ‘Pack wasn’t able to keep up with the Rams, losing 25 – 18.

The third set was the same story. With the ‘Pack down by one, Gina Gill, general studies freshman, scored a kill, to tie it at 10. She ended up with nine kills in the game and two blocks. They went on to lose the set 25  – 17, giving the victory to the Blazers. This loss means that Loyola will not be playing in the NAIA national tournament.

After the final whistle, Loyola’s players went over to family and friends who were in the game before going to the locker room.

“We’ve had our ups and downs this season, and unfortunately almost every season has to end on a loss,” Keelyn Henderson, international business senior, said. She explained that this is true because only one team can win the national tournament in the whole country.
    This game was the last one as a ‘Pack player for Henderson, Seals, Howard and mass communication senior, Stacey Kersten.

They all agreed that they will always remember their volleyball careers at Loyola.

Henderson explained this season was one of transition. “Half of the girls were new, so we had to make some adjustments. Next year, they will have been together for two years, and I think they’re going to be awesome next year,” Henderson said.

Ashley England, English freshman, will have another shot at the title next season. She explained it was an enjoyable experience. “It was definitely welcoming, and you could tell the team was really close,” England said.

She said she feels privileged to spend four years with the girls on the volleyball team and wishes to follow the seniors’ footsteps. “I can only hope to achieve everything they did,” she said.

The trio said the best aspect of being a part of this team is the friendships that are formed. “You can’t help but be friends off the court,” Howard said. “You know these people better than you know anybody else,” Henderson said.

“They see the worst side of you on a daily basis sometimes, and they still show up and are your friends,” England said.

“Really, what was so sad tonight wasn’t that we lost against Mobile. It’s the fact that you say goodbye to something you’ve been doing for a long time,” Henderson said.

Both Henderson and Howard said they will come back to The Den to support their successors. England said she hopes they return to some of the matches.

“It will probably be scary to see them on the stands, and it’ll put pressure on us to do well, but I definitely want to see them here,” England said.

Now that their season is over Tommy Harold, head coach, said, “It was a great season.
    We had our ups and downs. We had some adversity, starting the season off with a hurricane, a displaced team, but we came back and made a run.”

He said he appreciates the seniors’ commitment to the team. “Great kids, great players. The steps they’ve made and what they’ve meant to the program for the last four or five years for some of them is a testament to their hard work,” he said.

The ‘Pack will have to wait until next year for another shot at the title when no longer freshmen Gill, Oldani and England will lead them.

Eduardo Gonzalez can be reached at [email protected].