Bobet classrooms get upgrade

End-of-semester evaluation decides renovation plans for other rooms
    An Introduction to World Religions class takes advantage of the new Bobet classrooms audivisual technology.
    An Introduction to World Religions class takes advantage of the new Bobet classroom’s audivisual technology.

As the school celebrates its centennial anniversary, it is also taking steps towards modernizing its historic campus and introducing state-of-the-art technology. Much of the hype has surrounded the facelift for the Danna Center, but transformations have also been taking place in classrooms that will potentially have a great impact on the university’s educational system in coming years.

The changes began in Bobet Hall, where two classrooms were completely remodeled over the summer as a test run for the rest of the university. The university upgraded the rooms, Bobet 216 and 221, with high-tech features and sleek, modern fixtures.

Gone are the old, wooden desks and chalk boards. In their place are rounded black seats and an automated projector. The overall design is comparative to that of the Danna Center, where bright colors and geometric patterns were key in creating a contemporary atmosphere.

The rooms are also equipped with new technology. As the projector is turned on, the lights dim simultaneously and a screen slides down from the ceiling – all of it controlled by a touch screen monitor.

The new changes come as a surprise for professors and students alike.

“They didn’t really explain to us how to use it. If you’ve never used it before, it might be off-putting,” said Eileen Doll, Spanish professor.

Doll teaches only one of her classes in the new room and added that many of the features may be more useful for some classes than others.

“It changes the way you teach-what you can prepare and can’t prepare,” she said.

According to University President the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., the goal of the renovations is “simply to enhance the teaching and learning experience for our faculty and students. In an age of information, it is important that our classrooms have the technology capabilities for contemporary teaching, learning and research.”

Masako Hirsch can be reached at [email protected].