Hillel Center open to community

The new Jewish Hillel center opens on the corner of Broadway and Burthe streets near Tulane University.  This new center will provide additional services to the Uptown Jewish community.
    ANGIE HERNANDEZ/Contributing Photographer
    The new Jewish Hillel center opens on the corner of Broadway and Burthe streets near Tulane University. This new center will provide additional services to the Uptown Jewish community.

Need a place to study? Or party? Check out the new Tulane Hillel Center. It embraces Loyola’s community – especially students.

The new Tulane Hillel Center, on the corner of Broadway and Burthe Streets, was inaugurated on Feb. 2 to serve Uptown’s growing Jewish community.

But the center welcomes all Loyola students, Jewish or not, said Andy Adelman, Tulane Hillel Center associate director of programming and engagement.

“The popular misconception of Hillel is that it’s only open to Jewish students, but actually it’s a great place to study or grab a bite to eat,” said Adelman.

The center’s cafeteria, which opened on Feb. 14, hopes to begin accepting Wolfbucks soon, said Adelman.

The center also holds regular movie screenings, open mike nights and yoga classes, according to its weekly schedule.

“We encourage students to not only go to Tulane Hillel for kosher services,” said Samuel Bradley, Loyola interfaith coordinator, “but also take advantage of other services they offer. For instance, they offer a service for matzo ball soup; when a student is sick, they’ll deliver it to you.”

They also offer ministry services, said Adelman.

“Along with this new building has come a lot of interest in Hillel,” said Adelman. “We have had a lot of students coming and wanting to take an active role in the community.”

Zachary Turmelle, music industry senior and Jewish Student Association president, said it is an opportunity for the Loyola community to learn and enjoy.

“All of my friends whom I have taken there have enjoyed it,” said Turmelle.

Zainab Aziz can be reached at