News Briefs

Writing workshop to be held on Wednesdays

Loyola’s Creative Writing Institute is holding a writing workshop in fiction and creative nonfiction on Wednesdays, from 6:30 to 9 p.m., through May 14. Local writer James Nolan is hosting the workshop, which is open to both students and non-students and has a 15-person limit.

“There are no grades, no credits,” Nolan told the Times-Picayune. “It’s been an incredible experience to work with people who really want to write.”

Past students of Nolan’s include Angele Parlange (“Creole Thrift: Premium Southern Living without Spending a Mint”), Kim Sunee (“Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home”), Sally Forman (“Eye of the Storm: Inside City Hall During Katrina”) and Richard Deichmann (“Code Blue: A Katrina Physician’s Memoir”).

Tuition is $450. For more information, contact [email protected].

– Katie Urbaszewski

Japanese philosopher to give lecture

Japanese philosopher and literary critic Kojin Karatani will speak in Nunemaker Hall on April 24 at 7:30 p.m.

A book signing will follow his lecture, “Toward a World Republic: Beyond the Trinity of Capital, Nation and State” and is free and open to the public.

Karatani is best known for his books “Transcritique: On Kant and Marx” and “Origins of Modern Japanese Literature”. He also received the Gunzo Literary Prize for an essay on Natsume Soseki.

The lecture is sponsored by the Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures, the Office of the Provost, the Office of the Dean of Humanities and Natural Sciences, the Dean of Social Sciences and the Latin American Studies Program.

For more information, contact professor Josefa Salmon at [email protected] or Avia Alonzo at 504-865-3844.

– Katie Urbaszewski