Survey reveals stats on sexual abuse, rape

By KATIE URBASZEWSKI

ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR

Although Loyola offers a sexual aggression prevention program for freshmen at the beginning of each year, half of the 311 Loyola women who replied to a recent survey reported that they’ve undergone at least one act of unwanted sexual coercion. Almost a third of respondents have experienced at least one incident that constitutes legal rape.

The information from sociology professor Marcus Kondkar’s survey showed that most Loyola women don’t recall any discussion about dating violence or sexual assault during their new student orientations.

Kondkar revealed the results of the survey Monday, April 7 in the Women’s Resource Center.

By conducting this survey, Kondkar said, it’s almost guaranteed that Loyola could acquire a grant to educate more people about sexual violence and coercion.

The majority of sexual assaults the students reported were by a friend or dating partner, at a party or the perpetrator’s house. Students feel safer in these surroundings and are less likely to be alert, according to the survey. Also, women in dating relationships (committed and not) are more likely to be victims of sexual coercion, and it is more likely to involve physical force, the survey found.

Sociology senior Danielle Gaubert assisted Kondkar with the survey by testing the pilot and making suggestions.

Survey Results

Data from Marcus Kondkar’s analysis of sexual abuse among 311 Loyola women.

Sexual coercion incidents: 14 percent on campus; 86 percent off campus.

Four percent of sexual coercion victims reported the incident.

Thirty-nine percent of sexual coercion aggressors were friends or acquaintances.

Twenty-nine percent were reported rape victims.

Fifty-one percent were preported victims of sexual coercion.

Katie Urbaszewski can be reached at [email protected].