Loyola and Tulane share Freret Street

Loyola, Tulane embrace symbiotic relationship
    SANTIAGO CAICEDO, GEENAH ACEVEDO, and ASHLEY FIORELLO/The Maroon
    Clockwise from bottom left

Tulane and Loyola Universities’ close proximity allows the students to assess and evaluate the availability of each school’s resources.

“We can use Tulane’s transportation services like Safe Ride and the grocery shuttle,” said Chantel Jackson, Loyola English writing freshman. “It is very helpful because without that, we would not get to Wal-mart or back on campus. We would be stuck paying for cabs.”

Tulane’s resources are also helpful for resources that Loyola lacks, said Genesia Emery, Loyola music industrybusiness freshman.

“They have a variety of restaurants in the Lavin-Bernick Center when we only have Flambeaux’s,” Emery said. “They also have a Kinko’s and Whitney Bank, which helps out a lot.”

Bruff Commons, Tulane’s cafeteria, stays open to 10 p.m., unlike the Orleans Room, Loyola’s cafeteria, which stays open until 8 p.m. Bruff Commons is a great option when taking night classes, Emery said. Because Tulane and Loyola students can share cafeterias, there is more variety of food choices, said Paul Zachary, Tulane freshman.

“I do like having ICEE machines here but the Orleans Room has really good desserts,” Zachary said. “The cheesecake is the best and I like how the Orleans Room lets you swipe in guests that do not have cards.”

The option to take classes not offered on both campuses allows for greater learning skills, Emery said.

“Both colleges master the skills that they are known for,” Emery said. “Loyola has a very good music and mass communication program and Tulane has a great medical and math department.”

Both universities’ academic programs help to fit students with their right major, but campus size plays a factor in the campuses’ social life, said Zerrick Dunbar, a Tulane biomedical engineering sophomore.

“Tulane is the best one that had engineering in New Orleans, so we kind of fit,” Dunbar said. “I considered Loyola but they do not have an engineering track. I still like that Loyola is smaller and more family-like. It seems like you all are closer together.”

Tulane’s size makes it harder to get to classes, when at Loyola, it is very easy to get around, said Jedanndrilla Bushnell, a Loyola psychology sophomore. The small classes are better for learning but Tulane’s classes are also great, she said.

“Small class sizes at Loyola promote better learning and interaction with professors,” Bushnell said. “I also would take classes at Tulane but we can only take classes that they do not offer at Loyola.”

Using Tulane’s outdoor sports resources is also nice since it is free, Bushnell said. It is really efficient and helpful that we get to share resources, Jackson said.

“Basically, by us being connected, it is a lot more convenient since we can use each other for help,” she said.

Kamaria Monmouth can be reached at [email protected]