Professor wins award

History professor Mark F. Fernandez, Ph.D., was awarded this year’s highest faculty honor for teaching and scholarship, the Dux Academicus award.

Each year, faculty and students give their recommendations to select the professor who has great ability to transmit knowledge about their field and the Jesuit philosophy of the university.

The award highlights the honoree’s commitment to work, as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Edward J. Kvet said when he presented the award during the Spring Faculty and Staff Convocation.

“This award is given to the ideal university citizen,” Kvet said. “Dr. Fernandez is recognized for his outstanding teaching, impassioned advocacy for Jesuit education, and his scholarship.”

Fernandez recognizes the importance of the award, and he is grateful and proud to have received it.

“I’m thrilled. It’s an honor to be included among the Dux recipients over the years,” Fernandez said.

The recipient of last year’s award was the A. Louis Read Distinguished Professor in Communications, Alfred Lorenz. He believes Fernandez deserves the recognition he received.

“Dr. Fernandez was an excellent choice. He is a first-rate scholar, an excellent teacher and a fine colleague,” Lorenz said. Fernandez explains that his passion for history began with his first history courses in college. A combination of his studies and his current work environment at Loyola has further developed his passion for the teaching of history.

“In college, my first history professor, Tom Schlunz, really engaged us in class with vivid lectures and interesting assignments that drew me to the field,” Fernandez said. “When I read original documents for the first time and realized I was reading the words of a person who lived over 500 years ago, I got hooked.”

Aside from teaching, Fernandez also wrote about several topics in his field, including books about Louisiana’s history and the history of its legal system. His book “From Chaos to Continuity: Evolution of Louisiana’s Judicial System 1712-1862,” won the Louisiana Literary Award from the Louisiana Library Association.

A member of the faculty since 1992, Fernandez feels that working at Loyola has positively influenced his career.

“Loyola’s mission is unique. The Ignatian goals of cura personalis and service resonate in every corner of the University. It’s hard to walk the campus and not be moved by our commitment to mission,” Fernandez said. “When I go to class every day I remind myself that I’m not just a history professor, but part of something really special.”

Vannia Zelaya can be reached at