Survival Guide

The college experience can be overwhelming and intimidating for some new students without any guidance. Here are a few tips that can help any college student survive the rough wilderness of Loyola’s campus.

Go to class
    Living away from your parents and not having anyone to force you to go to school can be  tempting. Going to class can almost guarantee you a passing grade in any Loyola class.
    Also, be on time for your classes. While the many fine drinking establishments around campus may lure you into a late night out, be sure to arrive promptly for your class. Partying is a staple of many college careers but learn how to do so in moderation.
    Although Loyola’s campus is not very big, knowing where your classes are ahead of time will ensure that you are not late for your first day of class, which will leave a good impression with your professors.

Conserve Wolfbucks
    Eating on campus is not cheap even with Wolfbucks. The lure of a late night run to Flambeaux’s or The Market is okay every once in a while, but a nightly routine will quickly drain your Wolfbucks. Not to mention what it could do to your waistline.
    The same can be said for money in your bank account. Not having your parents to fully support may come as a shock to some. Learn to conserve your money and not give into frivolous spending. Budgeting is a life lesson that will last forever.

Get to know your roommate
    For most freshmen, college may be the first time they have had to share a room . Take time to get to know your roommate before passing judgment. There is a two week grace period before you can change rooms so give those two weeks an honest effort to get along.
    Dorm rooms are small so learn to respect each other’s space. It can sometimes get claustrophobic in the residence halls. Take time every now and again to get out and enjoy the city.
    Get to know other people on campus. College is a time to meet new and diverse people. You may have found your best friends in high school but college is where you find your friends for life.

Stay safe
    New Orleans is not known for the safest streets in the world. Though this has probably been drilled into your heads by now it is never safe to walk alone; stay in groups. Many popular bars for freshmen are walking distance from campus but just because you are drunk does not mean you are invincible. Learn to drink responsibly and balance both school and fun.
    If you are on campus Loyola University Police are always here to escort someone if necessary.   

Go to the OR early
    With the new freshmen class being the highest since before Katrina, this means more mouths to feed. The Orleans Room does have limited seating especially during lunch hour. Doors open at 11 AM so getting there around 11:30-11:45 AM can save you a good 10 minutes trying to find a seat.

John Adams can be reached at [email protected]