Students skeptical of radio station’s online success

Loyola’s new radio station is broadcasting mixed levels of excitement to students across campus.

After asking students on campus their thoughts on the new station, Crescent City Radio, answers varied.

Although the station has only recently launched, some students seem hesitant about the new Internet-broadcasted radio station. General studies freshman Kacie Fayard believes that not having the station broadcasting on an AM or FM frequency will attract fewer people to listen.

Mass communication sophomore Kayla August agrees. “I am excited to have it back,” she said, “but if it’s on the Internet then it’s not really a radio station.”

Another reason for the hesitation seems to be students’ lack of knowledge about the station. “I don’t know if I’m excited about it yet because I don’t know anything about it,” said Deidre Molin, mass communication freshman.

Even though some people are ambivalent about Crescent City Radio, others are very excited.

“I’m excited about the new station as it gives students a chance to hear what they want,” marketing junior Braxton Bernard said. Bernard also said the radio station will be a good outlet for broadcasting on-campus events.

Shayrn Booker, graphic design sophomore, says it’s great the station is online, since most college students spend a lot of time on the Internet .

Jay Crutti, the station’s adviser, said the reason the station will broadcast via the Internet is because of cost. “There are only so many frequencies in the air. To get the rights to one would cost a lot of money,” Crutti said.

Crutti also said he believes more students have computers than radios.

Mark Glynn of NewOrleansRadio.com donated the bandwidth and software for the Internet station, and most of its equipment is surplus from other departments.

The station will be a mix of pre-taped and live shows, such as a Louisiana Roots show, run by Alex Fournet, international business freshman. His show will feature music by the likes of Louis Armstrong and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Also in the works is a hip-hop show that plans to go beyond mainstream music, which will be hosted by criminal justice sophomore Michele Seymour. There is even a possible talk show in the works, with biology professor Craig Hood.

Crutti said the station is a student effort and is still open to any student from any major who wants a show.

There will eventually be a calendar on the Web site showing upcoming programming.

Crescent City Radio hopes to eventually air Loyola sporting events and concerts live. Crutti said this should be feasible, since all that’s needed to go live is an Internet connection. A radio station would require more technical equipment.

The station is airing now, but it’s still a work in progress. To listen to Crescent City Radio, log onto www.NewOrleansRadio.com.

John Adams can be reached at [email protected].