Giorlando moves from filling cavities to coaching

Michael Giorlando, director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Wellness speaks with former Wolfpack athletes. Giorlando has experienced success over the past five years at Loyola.
    File Photo/The Maroon

In 2004 Loyola hired a dentist to be their athletics director, and has not looked back since.

When Michael Giorlando, director of Athletics and Wellness, took over the Wolfpack in July 2004, the department was not used to winning. When Giorlando arrived, he slowly made changes in the department until today, where the women’s volleyball and basketball teams have been conference champions twice in five years.

Giorlando was an assistant coach at Louisiana State University for three years before coming to Loyola. When he arrived, he had to sign one basketball player who would receive a scholarship.

When he arrived at Loyola, he immediately liked what the school represented. Before becoming a professional, he attended Jesuit High School and Spring Hill College. He then went to LSU, where he earned his medical degree at LSU’s school of dentistry, where he also taught for eight years.

“I’ve got eight years of Jesuit education, which has helped me become the person I am today. I really enjoy being a part of the Jesuit philosophy at Loyola,” he said.

Giorlando, a New Orleans native, is a dentist. Although he does not practice, he decided to retain his license because he “worked very hard for it.” When he was a junior varsity assistant coach at St. Martin’s high school, Giorlando balanced coaching and dentistry.

“I balanced coaching and practicing dentistry for two years. When I took on my job as graduate assistant at the University of New Orleans I was still teaching at the dental school at LSU,” he said.

While coaching at St. Martin, he came across Brett Simpson, who played for Giorlando. “I coached him for two years at St. Martin’s and when I came here to work, Brett was already working here,” he said.

During his time at St. Martin, he would work as a dentist from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., and then go to the high school and coach the team. When he was a graduate assistant, he would teach once a week about oral medicine and oral radiology.

Jesuit ideals remain in Giorlando and they affect the way he does his job.

“The greater glory of God, AMDG, was a constant reminder from the teachers and philosophy I received,” he said. “Men for others,” another Jesuit ideal, has also shaped the way Giorlando has lived his life, he said. He even called on the Rev Ted Dziak, S.J. to be the team’s chaplain.

At Loyola, he took on a recruiting method that looked for students who would not only be successful on the basketball court, but in the classroom as well.

“I wanted our students and coaches to realize they are ambassadors to the university. I wanted them to understand the importance of giving back and that excellence would be the number one priority on and off the field,” he said.

Giorlando’s focus on academic excellence from his players comes from his parents influence in him.

“They instilled a philosophy or value to always do your best and strive for excellence. They told me to never settle for mediocrity and never do things half way,” he said.

Giorlando wants his players to not only improve as players, but also as people.

“They have to learn to be responsible and accountable for their actions, because this is all a part of real life,” he said. “I hope they learn this while they are at Loyola.”

He has put together a team of players from around the world and the United States. He considers the men’s basketball team to mirror New Orleans in that the players come from different places, giving the team a rich culture.

“I guess you can call the team a melting pot. It resembles the American way. Despite the diversity, they are able to keep their individuality and come together for a common cause,” he said

Giorlando grew up as a football fan and a basketball player, however, he played many sports.

“I remember not being able to wait until Sunday afternoon to watch football,” he said.

“We played baseball, football and basketball in front of my house,” he said.

Giorlando considers himself to be very lucky to work where he’s from.

“I’m extremely fortunate that my college and coaching career has kept me here in New Orleans,” he said, “It’s unheard of that a college coach can stay that close to his hometown.”

He enjoys being able to stay close to his family, allowing them to watch him coach and be involved in his career.

This has transferred into his coaching, treating his team as if they were a second family.
    “I definitely try to instill core values in my players so they become good human beings that will do good for other and for the city,” he said.

His favorite aspect, though, is the people. “The people here take care of each other. It’s a loving city, no matter where you go,” he said.

Eduardo Gonzalez can be reached at [email protected].