University has great room for improvement

I was touching my toes at the edge of the basketball court, right outside the entrance to the men’s changing room, and, much to my dismay, saw hundreds, no, thousands, of very tiny ants.

Before that, I never had my nose down to within an inch of the floor. Then, I discovered, they are all over the men’s locker room.

We need an exterminator. A stitch in time saves nine.

I was lifting weights at the University Sports Complex. I was “entertained” by wall-to-wall rap “music.”

What about Mozart, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi and Beethoven, to name my five favorite composers?

Do we always have to have rap “music?” How about switching, every other hour, from one to the other?

The flags in the swimming pool (used by back-strokers) are not placed equidistant from the two walls. This can lead to accidents. We would be liable for a lawsuit.

Some of the showers in the men’s changing room only yield cold water. We could also use a bathing suit dryer, and a water fountain there.

I can’t speak for the women’s changing room, but I imagine these points apply there, too.

Anyone caught peeing on the toilet seats ought to be kicked out of school.

How about a soap dispenser in the shower room, like they have at Tulane?

With the costs of tuition, room and board, we ought to be able to afford such amenities.

And, how about fixing the hot tub once and for all?

The hot dog stand in the complex is a disgrace. It is very well hidden, and only open for business during varsity sports games.

Instead, it should be available at all times, placed where everyone can see it, and converted into something resembling one of the stores in the food court in the Danna Student Center.

There ought to be some couches, and a gigantic television set somewhere in the complex. Don’t we want to encourage use of this facility?

That ball field in the northern quad is another disgrace. It is bumpy, and often has dirt spots that sometimes turn muddy. It ought to be leveled out, and either better kept up or artificial turf installed.

When a student is late for class, it is a problem. When a professor is late for class, some 20-30 students must cool their heels.

A proportion of the parking spots on the first floor of the parking garage ought to be reserved for professors to help insure we get to class on time.

We ought to install those indicators, now available in most airport parking lots, which show how many empty parking spots there are on each floor.

How many times have most of us driven all the way up to the fifth floor of the garage, only to have to turn around and seek parking accommodation elsewhere? Too many times.

Some of these suggestions must be implemented as soon as possible, no matter what the expense, like the exterminator.

Though I full well realize we may not be able to undertake the more expensive changes in the near term, some are relatively cheap, and would make all our experiences on campus more pleasant.

Walter Block holds the Harold E. Wirth Eminent Scholar Endowed Chair and is an economics professor. He can be reached at [email protected].