Loyola students play part in making history

Obama supporters register the phone bank activities at the Obama headquarters on Maple Street for the Last Call for Change House Part.
    Dan Helfers
    Obama supporters register the phone bank activities at the Obama headquarters on Maple Street for the “Last Call for Change House Part.”

Fall fashion may be hitting the runways of New York, but political buttons, t-shirts and bumper stickers seem to be the fashion-forward trend dominating the Loyola “runway.”

Although this will be most students’ first time voting in a presidential election, it is no secret that many students are not taking the responsibility lightly. Rallies, election watching parties, voter registration sign-up tables and of course personal endorsements are only a few of the ways Loyola students are contributing to the Nov. 4 presidential election.

The University Programming Board plans to hold an election watching party in CC’s lounge open to all students on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. UPB will provide Chinese food and pizza in addition to party hats decorated with donkeys, elephants or neutral hats for independent voters.

Not all election related events are so non-partisan, however. The unofficial Loyola chapter of the nationwide “Students for Barack Obama” organization is no stranger to the campaign scene. Student representatives and administrators from the group set up a voter registration table in the Danna Center earlier in the semester and claim to be responsible for 150 registered voters.

The group also held a “Barack Obama: American Promises” primetime video premiere special at Obama’s New Orleans headquarters on Maple Street on Oct. 29. The event was open to the public to view the video and to assist in calling registered voters to urge them to get out and vote.

Brian Parks, political science senior, UPB vice-president, avid Obama supporter and “Students for Barack Obama” representative, said, “I feel very confident. I feel that he’s (Obama’s) run a pretty flawless campaign. His level of optimism resonates with a lot of young people. To put into plain terms, who do you want for our economy? A guy with one house and one car who just finished paying off his student loans, or a guy with nine houses and 13 cars?”

Many college-aged, first-time voters have been attracted to Obama’s tactful campaign mechanisms, though not all of them. Some Loyola students are just as passionate about Republican presidential candidate John McCain. Although McCain supporters tend to be more politically reserved on Loyola’s campus, there it’s noticeable that many students identify more with McCain than with Obama.

Lora Ghawaly, mass communication freshman, said in an e-mail interview, “I don’t know if McCain’s campaign has as much determination (as Obama) for young votes, but they’re stepping it up. I support the McCain/Palin ticket; I feel pretty confident of their abilities.

“It’s a nice mix of youth and experience. I like McCain’s policies on rights to life, immigration, environmental and health care. I don’t care much for Obama’s plans…most sound too much like socialism.”

Political views may differ, but there seems to be a common value among all parties – voting is important. Ghawaly said, “Get off your butt, and go vote. I’ll drive you. This election is extremely historic for both sides. This is one time in your life when you want to be a statistic. You’ll be able to play a part.”

Rita West can be reached at [email protected].