College of Law student dies, remembered by peers

LAUREN PATTON

Sigrid Raquel Franklin, a third-year College of Law student at Loyola, died on Feb. 11.

Friends and family came together at “A Celebration of Life,” a memorial service in honor of Franklin. At the service, Justin Cantu, third year law student, spoke about Franklin’s ability to touch the lives of those around her.

“Though she may be gone, her love for others and the impact she made on their life will never be forgotten,” Cantu said.

Her friends described her as a dedicated student with a deep love for others, whose laughter and smile could lift any spirit. Her dedication was a large part of her life, her friends said.

“It would be rare to find her working on something not directly or indirectly involving her studies,” Cantu said.

Jereme Silva, music industry and business senior, said that although he only knew Franklin for a short time, she managed to make an impact on him during their time together.

“I’ve only had the pleasure of knowing her for a few months, but even in that short window of time, I was able to learn a lot about her,” Silva said. “This beautiful young lady was without a doubt the strongest girl I have met and likely will ever meet. I truly never admired and cared for someone in my life as much as I have for her.”

Franklin worked with the child advocacy section of the Law Clinic in her time at Loyola’s College of Law.

“Her dream was to use the law to fight for those who could not fight for themselves. Her selflessness and compassion was second to none,” Cantu said.

Lauren Patton may be reached at [email protected]