SGA commits to future plans

Ideas focus on improvement of facilities, programs

Loyola’s Student Government Association is busy planning projects and events to better student life and conditions around campus.

The ideas pitched at the meeting ranged from the renovation of campus buildings, to quick adjustment techniques for new or struggling students, to potential philanthropic and environmental actions. Some have ideas that have already been scheduled, but others will require more planning and fund raising.

Many commitments, as they’re called, aim to improve the appearance of the university, both outwardly and with its reputation. Wolves on the Prowl is a national day of cleanup in and around New Orleans, scheduled for this Saturday. The day is dedicated to making the city a healthier and cleaner environment for everyone and is inspired by the ideals and values of the Loyola Jesuit traditions, said Andre Breaux, mass communication junior.

Saturday’s activities will include a cleanup of City Park and gutting houses still in need after Hurricane Katrina. Along with the community-centered cleanup, SGA plans on having a campus cleanup day later in the year.

SGA business student representatives Greg Fontenot and Josh Aranguiz said they plan to take on the endeavor of renovating the second floor of Miller Hall, including the lounge where they would like to put a stock ticker and TVs showing CNN if the budget permits.

Other advancements in campus facilities proposed were entertainment rooms in the Danna Center with pool tables, and new equipment in the chemistry lab, where some students say there is a need for more efficient computers.

Brandon Crainer, criminal justice junior, spoke about ways to better guide new students and make the daily atmosphere and navigation of Loyola more comfortable. He said he wants the honor students to continue conducting peer mentoring, but also wants to expand their academic tutoring capabilities to helping students with the first-year experience by setting up Frequently Asked Question sessions.

Fine Arts student representatives Marlena Dzis, music education junior, and Sara Melton, music education sophomore, said they want to create a Web site that is more inviting and will house a personal calendar for students based on specific events they request to be informed about. Another online addition that they want to have are Degree Program Course Listings, which are the forms showing course requirements for specific majors, on LORA as PDF files so they will be easily accessible and can be printed out.

Female SGA members brought up concerns about the lack of tampon dispensers on campus. Meghan Iverson, political science senior, presented a commitment to bring the machines to the women’s bathrooms on campus. Another idea put forth at the meeting to improve female health on campus was trying to get a gynecologist to make weekly visits to Student Health Services.

Along with the commitment presentations at the meeting, SGA President Daniel Green, political science junior, and Vice President Bob Payne, political science junior, made it clear that SGA has confidence in the leadership of the university.

Sally Tumner can be reached at [email protected].