Happy Holly Days

Students share their favorite holiday traditions

It is around the end of the year when we begin to see the usual patterns: the days become shorter, our neighborhoods glitter with Christmas lights and parents call their sons and daughters to make arrangements for coming home. The holiday season has arrived and it’s time to celebrate.

As students go back home to take part in their own traditions, it is easy to forget that not everyone celebrates the same way.

History freshman Kaitlyn O’Connor says that her family celebrates the Christmas holiday by attending midnight Mass. “Christmas has become more about the festivities of the holiday, rather than actually remembering that it is the day that Jesus was born. So, we go to Mass as a family to remember why Christmas is even a holiday,” O’Connor said. “When I was little I used to sing Jesus ‘Happy Birthday,’ because I loved when people sang me ‘Happy Birthday.'”

Most Christians celebrate Christmas Day with family dinners and gift exchanges; the same goes for those who are not Christian.

The Jewish faith celebrates Hanukkah, which is known as the Festival of Lights. It is an eight-day celebration of the rededication of the Jewish temple. The Jewish people commemorate this festival by lighting a candle a day on the menorah.

General studies Freshman Alex Appelbaum’s family has a tradition of lighting the candles on the menorah every night after dinner. “We go in order from oldest to youngest for who lights the candles each night, because when we were younger we would fight over who got to light them. While we are lighting the candles, we say the prayer.”

Appelbaum’s family takes part in another Jewish holiday tradition. “We also play dreidel, which is a game where you spin the dreidel and depending on what it lands on you either win or loose gelt, which is chocolate money,” Appelbaum said.

Hanukkah is a special time for the Appelbaum family. “For my family, Hanukkah is really about coming together and spending time celebrating the miracle of the light lasting eight days,” Appelbaum said.

While Appelbaum loves her family tradition, she plans to change things up this year. “I’m really excited to celebrate here with my roommate because we are going to celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah, and teach each other the different traditions.” Appelbaum says, “I’m going to teach her how to play dreidel, and we are going to decorate our dorm with a mini Christmas tree, as well as a menorah with fake candles,” Appelbaum said.

There are some cultures that experience the holiday season in a different way. Sophomore foreign exchange student Sakura Tabata says the holiday season is just another time of the year. She and her family are practicing Buddhists. “We do not feel much meaning during the Christmas season. I mean, Japanese enjoy the season, but do not think about the meaning so much,” Tabata said.

She describes Christmas day as just another day in Japan. People still have work, although children are usually on a winter break due to Emperor’s Day. “During the Christmas season, shopping areas are decorated with many illuminations,” Tabata said. “KFC is very popular because many Japanese like its chicken; and one of my friends who works there said that she cannot take Christmas Day off.”

While Tabata’s traditions differe she says that her family still enjoy Christmas day. Her family prepares a big meal and they decorate their living room with a small Christmas tree.

Despite being away from home during the holiday season, Tabata said she is looking forward to spending Christmas here this year. “It seems so exciting, and good opportunity to spend time with family. It is like a dream.”