Mayon gets ‘Lucky’ with Efron

Student chosen to play Zac Efron’s hands in upcoming movie and hopes to do more film work in the future

It is safe to say that Adam Mayon is good with his hands.

The piano performance junior recently appeared in the upcoming film “The Lucky One” as the hands of Zac Efron.

Mayon was recommended for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to act as a hand double in the film by orchestra director Jean Montés,

“He called me one day and was like, ‘Hey I got a job for you, maybe if you want to be a hand double for this movie,'” said Mayon.

Apprehensive about doing a minor production for one of his peers, Mayon was taken aback when he learned who the actor he was to portray was. “Professor Montés said Zac Efron and I said, all right, I’m going to have to go for it.”

Doubling as Zac Efron’s hands was not an easy process. In order to be considered for the role, Mayon had to compare his hands to Efron’s to ensure they looked exactly the same. “They’re the same size and everything,” said Mayon. “He’s a little darker than me, though.” After comparing hands, Mayon was given the job.

For Mayon, the experience was far more than he could ask for. Mayon was able to watch Efron in scenes and talk to him because he only had to be on set whenever he was needed. “I got his phone number,” said Mayon. “I wanted to see if he wanted to hang out with me, but he was too busy. He probably already deleted me on his phone, but I still have his number.”

Now that he has his first taste of fame, Mayon is more than eager to take on another film project, no matter what the production. “I’ll take anything,” said Mayon with a chuckle.

Mayon has been playing since the age of five. “My mom used to play for me when I was little,” said Mayon. “She said I need piano lessons, and I could try it for three months and if I didn’t like it, I could stop. I’ve enjoyed it ever since.”

Mayon’s love for music was influenced mostly by his mother, but it was his high school piano teacher who encouraged him to go for a career in music. As Mayon says, “I owe it all to him.”

Although Mayon has experienced some pop fame, he says he still prefers classical piano. And it is his love and dedication to his musical instrument of choice that led him to win the south-central regional Music Teachers National Association’s Young Artist Performance competition, moving him on to compete at nationals.

Mayon is thrilled to participate in the 2011 MTNA nationals, which will take place on March 28 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He had participated in various piano competitions throughout high school.

Listening to Mayon play, it is clear that he deserved his spot in the national competition. At his age, the speed and deftness with which he plays is incredible.

In addition to his musical and screen talents, Adam Mayon remains humble and is more than thankful for the experiences he’s had as a classical pianist. “I’m so glad I came here,” said Mayon, grinning. “The opportunities are just great.”

Ashley Curtis can be reached at [email protected]